Rattling sound driving me crazy! help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tripp12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently moved to a more "country" setting with bumpy dirt roads and what not. Now that i'm traveling these roads more often, things are coming loose more frequently. Lately my truck, 07 1500 crew cab 5.7 4x4, has developed this rattling that I cannot find for the life of me. the slightest little bump and it rattles like crazy, but the second I apply the brakes, it goes away, no matter how rough the terrain, and no matter how lightly i apply the brakes. I initially thought struts/springs, but they seem pretty tight. i figured that when the brakes were being applied, it was loading the susp. and tightening up whatever was rattling. This is surely what is happening, but i cant figure out what's loose when i'm under there. I've smacked every thing i can see with a mallet and nothing rattles. it sounds like an exhaust pipe slightly tapping against a chassis or something. But it's loud and embarrassing and it's getting worse. Any thoughts or ideas??
I did just replace both front hubs and all new brakes/rotors, and tires last fall. and this almost has to be coming from the front, but ya never know with rattles lol.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Could it be a caliper? Have you try to load the ebrake a little"? Just thinking out loud...

OP
OP
Tripp12345

Tripp12345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i havent messed with the e-brake. I tried to shake the calipers by hand and even smacked them with a mallet but nothing. i think i'm going to check my shock towers and see whats going on there. It sounds like something may have come loose in the strut setup. Im gonna start there then pull the wheels and check the brakes, rotors, and calipers. Could be a sway bar.. could be anything lol

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you tell where the noise is coming from? Front back etc. And is it metal on metal sound?