Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
spudgunn88

spudgunn88

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.7L
I'm not confident yet in saying if/what has been fixed. I will say that in the few years I've been running my truck, 91 octane consistently has the least amount of ping over 87, but it doesn't remove it completely.

Recently I ended up buying different gas and also did an oil change to 5w-20 (down from 5w-30). It's HPL oil in there now, it was before as well but it's a different formula too; so went from HPL euro no vii 5w-30 down to HPL regular 5w-20. That weekend I did the oil change might have also coincided with a change from summer gas to winter gas.

After that point I towed the next day and the pinging was the least I've ever heard that I can remember. It was almost non existant, just a tiny hint once or twice.

Since then I've been driving very conservatively, keeping rpms low because my diff is making noises and I don't want to stress that out until I can swap the diff oil (hopefully this weekend).

So who knows, too many variables changed at once, might have been a fluke with the gas but at this point I do suspect the oil was the reason because I've gone through several gas changes (winter/summer) and also different gas stations and octanes etc, trying to see what works and nothing has until the weekend I happened to run the 5w-20. I just don't want to make that claim yet though without more time and testing on different gas etc, I've been wrong before :)
Gotcha, from responses; using some lubeguard on this engine may be a good idea sound or no sound so going to start that up. On 2nd tank of 93 octane as of this morning along with the 2nd round of Lucas fuel system cleaner see if that helps. I did notice a bit better throttle response after about half a tank first go.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Gotcha, from responses; using some lubeguard on this engine may be a good idea sound or no sound so going to start that up. On 2nd tank of 93 octane as of this morning along with the 2nd round of Lucas fuel system cleaner see if that helps. I did notice a bit better throttle response after about half a tank first go.

LG is a good idea for sure. Even if your noise is ping, there are other sounds in the valve train the hemi makes which clear up when higher quality oil or an additive like LG is used. It's a noisy engine for sure on dealer oil, at least it was for me.

Some of us (have) run 5w-30 or even 0w-40 and report a quieter engine, but I'm back to running 5w-20 for this oil change and my engine is still buttery smooth so I suspect its the formula and not the viscosity that is important when it comes to a quiet engine. The 5w-30 in general offers more protection when the truck gets extremely hot but 5w-20 is fine for daily driving and short oil change intervals.

But I'd still recommend switching to HPL or Redline next oil change if your wallet can afford it, its a far better oil then dealer oil + LG.

OP
OP
spudgunn88

spudgunn88

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.7L
LG is a good idea for sure. Even if your noise is ping, there are other sounds in the valve train the hemi makes which clear up when higher quality oil or an additive like LG is used. It's a noisy engine for sure on dealer oil, at least it was for me.

Some of us (have) run 5w-30 or even 0w-40 and report a quieter engine, but I'm back to running 5w-20 for this oil change and my engine is still buttery smooth so I suspect its the formula and not the viscosity that is important when it comes to a quiet engine. The 5w-30 in general offers more protection when the truck gets extremely hot but 5w-20 is fine for daily driving and short oil change intervals.

But I'd still recommend switching to HPL or Redline next oil change if your wallet can afford it, its a far better oil then dealer oil + LG.
I usually run what is from walmart far as oil, quaker state, havoline, valvoline etc right now it has https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-S...il-5-Quart/14958323?athbdg=L1200&from=/search and https://www.walmart.com/ip/SuperTec...VROLET-EQ/842463968?athbdg=L1103&from=/search or https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRAM-Ult...ET-EQUINOX/16879117?athbdg=L1103&from=/search right now. I have been checking to make sure it's fully syn and ms6395 spec

OP
OP
spudgunn88

spudgunn88

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.7L

And not being funny but any thoughts on liqui moly? it's on sale at my local parts store 5L for $38.99

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And not being funny but any thoughts on liqui moly? it's on sale at my local parts store 5L for $38.99

I'm far from an expert. My understanding is that liquimoly and other moly products use an older form of moly called "mos2" which can solidify in your pan and turn to sludge, basically it falls out of suspension from the rest of the oil.

Better products like Redline, HPL, or the Biotech Lubeguard additive use a different moly that doesn't have this problem.

You'd have to ask the guys in the synthetic thread for more information unfortunately, that's about all I know. I'm not really into this stuff because I want to be, I only know the stuff I do know because the hemi has some lifter issues that requires staying on top of, so running high quality oil is kind of best practice for this engine.

Also, I totally get the desire to do things from a budget persective. But given the failure rate on these engines (not atrocious, but still higher than average) I've long dropped the idea of doing things cheap when it comes to the engine. It gets 5000 to 7000 mile oil changes, twice a year regardless, with the highest quality oil you can buy and the best filters. It's not cheap, but trying to save $50 twice a year is poor risk management as far as I'm concerned. I also minimize my idling.

OP
OP
spudgunn88

spudgunn88

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.7L
Well to be fair to anyone who commented I decided to do a follow up post. I never mentioned the oil was pretty freshly changed in my comments before so I did add some lubeguard. Well well well, that noise is a little more noticeable even at lower rpm now. I would take the time to think now it's more of a oil issue or an actual issue going on in the engine at this point. I am inclined to think to try 0w40 first such as mobile one with maybe something better than a 4$ filter from walmart to rule out a flow issue (maybe do 5w20 with high qual filter first?)

Back to seek opinions from my fellow truck alike brethren lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Read the lubegard and redline threads and maybe some of the syn oil thread, the science of EP additives is that they take time to plate. Now, in like 50% of the trucks just making the oil change works, but in the other 50% like mine, it takes some miles to go quiet. So two things "can" work, the extreme pressure additives abrv ep/aw, or going up in viscosity. It depends on the tick, many respond to thick oil, but some the EP additives are what will work. When the EP's plate, the truck goes real quiet as in fixed quiet.

OP
OP
spudgunn88

spudgunn88

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.7L
Read the lubegard and redline threads and maybe some of the syn oil thread, the science of EP additives is that they take time to plate. Now, in like 50% of the trucks just making the oil change works, but in the other 50% like mine, it takes some miles to go quiet. So two things "can" work, the extreme pressure additives abrv ep/aw, or going up in viscosity. It depends on the tick, many respond to thick oil, but some the EP additives are what will work. When the EP's plate, the truck goes real quiet as in fixed quiet.
Okay so what is your suggestion to do? I for sure made that noise more announced still the engine runs like a kitten it's just talking too much

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I havent a clue, this isnt normal hemi tick which we have well over 100 examples of what to do. You mentioned luberication in OP so I made some suggestions on what has worked around here. I'm just letting you know the strategy you chose often takes time to succeed. Going up to 0w40 isnt a bad idea, but you can also go up to 0w40 and add biotech again, this way you have EP and Viscosity covered. The good news with biotech you dont need to add it first, try 0w40 by itself for a while and see how it does, you can always go back at 1,000 miles and add biotech.

OP
OP
spudgunn88

spudgunn88

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.7L
I havent a clue, this isnt normal hemi tick which we have well over 100 examples of what to do. You mentioned luberication in OP so I made some suggestions on what has worked around here. I'm just letting you know the strategy you chose often takes time to succeed. Going up to 0w40 isnt a bad idea, but you can also go up to 0w40 and add biotech again, this way you have EP and Viscosity covered. The good news with biotech you dont need to add it first, try 0w40 by itself for a while and see how it does, you can always go back at 1,000 miles and add biotech.
If only if I could get it the sound on mic I've tried many ways to do it but for it to announce more with lube maybe the truck owner before let it sit too much/ran oil 10k miles like these goofy dealers suggest/ran cheap oil or all the above. I think i'll at least try 0w30 as that could be a great all weather oil for where I live anyway

I haven't tried to see if a drive by sound of it is picked up maybe try that next.

Last edited: