Rear axle seal 06' 2500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

archerr2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rear was leaking on the passenger side. I got the new inner seal and the axle gasket and tore into it. Took it all apart and got all the oil cleaned off everything. The old seal did not look bad. Bearings were in great shape. Put the new seal in the hub and started reassembly. I had trouble getting the new seal to slide on the axle but finally got it on. Slid the drive shaft back in with the new gasket and put thread lock on the bolts and tightened them down to 95 ft lbs as per the manual. Topped off the pumpkin (1" below the filler hole) with 75w 90 full synthetic. The damn thing started leaking again after 3 days. Any ideas?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only thing I can think of, is the axle bearings are actually bad or the axle is scored where the seal rests.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also...I overlooked the fact that you used full synthetic gear oil. Remember, that synthetic oil molecules are smaller than conventional. So with that being said, if there are ANY imperfections in that seal or even the smallest score where the axle seal seats, the synthetic will find it and you will see a leak.

OP
OP
archerr2002

archerr2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bearings are like brand new and I saw no scoring on the axle itself. I am going to rip it back apart to see what the hell is going on, The manual called for full synthetic. Should I use the blended stuff instead?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If nothing is wrong with the axle, seal or bearings...then it shouldn't leak period, even with the full synthetic.

OP
OP
archerr2002

archerr2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On reassembly I had problems getting the hub with the new seal to slide on smoothly. I guess i'll find out when I rip it back apart. I hope I didn't **** up that new seal. If I did that is 40 bucks down the pot. Thanks for the reply.