Snow plow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24v ctd
Alright guys need some help trying to decide on which plow I want to purchase for my 06 ram quad cab. Couple of question's

1. Can I put a v-blade or is it going to be to much weight on the front end?
2. I know I would have to buy the parts that are hard mounted to the truck, are the blades universal. I know I can't match fisher blade with boss truck mount's?
3. Also have any of you heard or currently using a Hiniker either straight blade v-plow or the scoop styles. And how do you like them and feel they compare to the other brands?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks
Sal

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Man Im not sure on this one... one of the others will chime in soon bud.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
If it is a 1500 then I would advise not to put a plow on itl. IMO, you will need at least a 2500.

donjohnk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright guys need some help trying to decide on which plow I want to purchase for my 06 ram quad cab. Couple of question's

1. Can I put a v-blade or is it going to be to much weight on the front end?
2. I know I would have to buy the parts that are hard mounted to the truck, are the blades universal. I know I can't match fisher blade with boss truck mount's?
3. Also have any of you heard or currently using a Hiniker either straight blade v-plow or the scoop styles. And how do you like them and feel they compare to the other brands?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks
Sal

Well to help ya out alittle.
are you doing it just for home useage or are you planning on doing contracts?
for just doing your driveway, I'd get a poly straight blade. I know fisher snoway and boss all have plows for lightduty trucks.
if your doing contracts I wouldnt recommend plowing with a 1500.. but if ya do stay with a straight blade 8' no more. Your gonna beat the hell outta your truck, so dont go ramming snowbanks back and forcing the truck through snow piles.

I used to plow with a F250 v-10 crew cab and I can tell ya I beat the hell outta it in just one winter here in CNY, I only had a snoway 8.5' poly blade.

OP
OP

04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24v ctd
I should have told you guys that my truck is a 2500 diesel

donjohnk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well then you should be set with any style you want.. I am using a '04 2500 CTD with 8' Fisher straight blade. and whats nice about that is it connects to the v-blade my buddy has. My recommendation is fisher.. great plows durable and easy to hook into when your by urself.

98sporttj

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 QCSB 4X4
Engine
4.7L
i run a boss power v at work... on a f350 i love it... but it depends on what you are doing... straight blades are nice for straight runs but i love the v blade for smaller lots... scoop mode is so worth it

OP
OP

04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24v ctd
I would like a v-blade i plow with my brothers f350 dump and it has a straight blade. I do like to be able to clean up faster with the v-blade though.

donjohnk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
V-blades do make it alot easier to clean up lots and to push piles. I have no need for one, so dont need to spend the money!

OP
OP

04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24v ctd
I think I am going to go with the Hiniker scoop plow

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to chime in on it, and also see what you decided to go with, if you have purchased..

I run an '01 QCSB 2500 CTD 6speed with a 96" Arctic Poly (HD96-P) and it does fine. I try not to beat the hell out of the truck with it, but sometimes you can't keep from it. I have several contracts and have no issues in using this plow setup. The 6speed, however, is another story. 4-6hrs of plowing, and I think I could possibly kick a mule over with my left leg; especially, with the 3600lb SB dual-disc setup.

Make sure you check/tighten all the fasteners at regular intervals. Keeping them tight will help slow the destruction of your truck.

I have to carry about 5-600lb in the bed, just behind the rear wheel wells, and needed Timbren overload bumpers on the front end to carry the weight. I wished my plow was a little taller, but it does just fine, provided I don't get a late start and there's 8-10" on the ground. I usually hit the snow about the 2" mark, as that's what most of my contracts are written for (I do have a couple zero-tolerance ones, which are nice money-makers.)

A V-Plow is too much weight on these front ends, IMO. I'd LOVE to have one, but the front will squat a lot just picking up the 8' poly straight-blade.

Hooking/Unhooking the Arctic QCII is as easy as pulling up to it, connecting two pins, 3 Packard style connectors and one battery power connector. Takes me like 1 minute to hook.

Joystick is another Packard connector, and I've made a panel that fits under the armrest and sets the controller just between 2nd gear and the console. Perfect, IMO.

And the diesel loves to work. I can plow for 6hrs straight in 8-10" of snow, and use less than 5 gallons of fuel. Try that with your gassers, fellas ;) (just pokin' fun)

My '02 4.7 won't even idle for 6hrs on less than 10 gallons, I think LOL It's a pig on fuel...

--edit--
As a side note:

The Hiniker 8' scoop plow is 770 lbs, 30" tall. My Arctic 8' plow is 30" tall and 130 lbs lighter, yet the mold board is 3/8" thick, vs. Hiniker's 1/4" mold board.

Remember that the scoop plow is not movable, like a V, although it is a power-angler like a straight blade.

Last edited: