Thinking about buying a ram... What to watch out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thumperjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm thinking about buying a truck and am interested in a ram. All of them in my area within what I'm willing to pay have quite a few miles. How many miles can one expect to get out of these trucks? I understand that the 5.7 is the preferred gasoline engine, not just for power but longevity as well. How long do they last? how long do the transmissions last? What are common failure points?

There's a couple i've been lurking at. Opinions?
https://greatfalls.craigslist.org/cto/6196712689.html
https://spokane.craigslist.org/ctd/6179956713.html
https://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/6204804078.html

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
It really depends on how well these trucks were taken care of.

The salvage title one, I am not sure I'd try my luck with it.

Maybe ask for any records they may have and take it to a shop to have them look it over..

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Just make sure you have an emergency fund cause any decade old used car with over 150k on the clock is gonna have stuff come up.

If you can find an original owner with records it will be worth paying a little extra for a well loved car vs a piece of transportation that some ******** abused.

Ndziy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Always nice to know who the previous owner was hence buying private. That being said I purchased my 2013 ram from a dealership and the previous owner was the secretary of the dealership. I asked why there was so many miles on it for only being a year old but this was because she lived in barhead and drove to Whitecourt everyday for work. About an hour drive there and an hour back does make sense to have a truck if you aren't going to use it so she traded for a car. But this situation is best case Ontario, this doesn't happen everyday. In my expirence with buying a truck and one with lots of miles is little things like looking at the hitch reciever! If that is beat up you know it's been used for towing. You take a smell and a look around in the interior (under the seats, or just the general hard to reach places without taking the seats out for vaccuming) this will tell you how the person was clean usually means they didn't spend alot of time in there and they are cautious of wrecking the vehicle, vice versa when it's messy and smells like smoke or just like there was a mess in there might want to look into mechanical if you are interested in said truck, Because one thing I can tell you from working in a shop is the dirtiest cars interior wise usually have some neglected maitnence. Just something to look at and get you thinking about it. Because at the end of the day the saying goes "a vehicle is an extension of a person" and it's not far off!

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

KIDRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 345 Hemi
I'd keep looking around until you find something with low miles on it. Even if you have to look in other parts of your state to find it. I looked for about 3 months before I found my 04 with 32K miles on it. I found even more similar years with 80K or less.

Then again, around $5K is a pretty good price for a full size running truck. I'd take anything to a mechanic and verify what it would need in the upcoming year before pulling the trigger.

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Just make sure you have an emergency fund cause any decade old used car with over 150k on the clock is gonna have stuff come up.

If you can find an original owner with records it will be worth paying a little extra for a well loved car vs a piece of transportation that some ******** abused.
Will cosign this bought a 02 dodge ram 1500 had to be replace ball joints control arm assembly's . Sway links links and shocks. That cost me $700 and I've gotta do the rack n pinion brakes and water pump which is gonna run me about $600 and there's maybe a oil leak pray to hide this sum ***** ain't burning the oil and that it's just a leak because around 2000 miles I have to add a qt of oil Truck cost me 7k and about 1500 in repairs since I got it two years ago

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thumperjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for your replies. I'm familiar with the importance of the vehicles being well taken care of. What I meant to ask is, with good maintenance, how long do the engines and transmissions last on these trucks? I've seen several for sale with 250k+. Is that exceptional or rather ordinary for these trucks to go that long?

Subarus blow head gaskets at around 120k with such regularity it's almost considered standard maintenance to replace them around then. Are there any issues common to these trucks like that? I'm mainly concerned about engine and transmission issues since those are the expensive and time consuming items to fix.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for your replies. I'm familiar with the importance of the vehicles being well taken care of. What I meant to ask is, with good maintenance, how long do the engines and transmissions last on these trucks? I've seen several for sale with 250k+. Is that exceptional or rather ordinary for these trucks to go that long?

Subarus blow head gaskets at around 120k with such regularity it's almost considered standard maintenance to replace them around then. Are there any issues common to these trucks like that? I'm mainly concerned about engine and transmission issues since those are the expensive and time consuming items to fix.

Probably most common issue is the solenoid pack in the transmissions with these 3rd gens. Other than that the motors and transmissions hold up well for normal use if maintained properly. Just watch for the usual rear fender well and bottom tail gate lip rust.