Truck surging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dbowling19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2003 RAM has a little issue, tho it's not every crank cycle it may do it once a week or less. When I crank it maybe 4 minutes into the warm up the engine starts convulsing periodically, noticed the light dim with the surge and the rpms do not jump up and down. The only code I have showed up was catalyst efficiency below threshold low . thanks in advance .

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
I would first start with a battery and alternator test, make sure you're getting sufficient and constant amperage/voltage.
Another area that people don't typically think about it replacing the battery cables and terminal kits and double check your grounds, you'd be surprised how a bad ground can cause havoc on electrical systems.
One that I learned recently is your crankshaft position sensor. $12 part at Oreily's or Rock Auto.

Having good clean terminals are extremely important, just upgraded mine. Super easy to do and only cost be $23.

45017C3A-5175-4E3D-9755-D76262A9EDF9_zpsa6uv0xng.jpg

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please excuse me if anyone else can say definitively that I am wrong.

I have never in my life working on cars since I was about 13 years old seen a battery or an alternator make a vehicle surge.

I've seen map sensors do it, I've seen throttle position sensors do it, I've seen dirty throttle bodies do it, I've seen IAC motors do it, but never in my life a battery or alternator.

Not trying to dis FFR just trying to give forum members accurate info.

Someone tell me I'm wrong.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please excuse me if anyone else can say definitively that I am wrong.

I have never in my life working on cars since I was about 13 years old seen a battery or an alternator make a vehicle surge.

I've seen map sensors do it, I've seen throttle position sensors do it, I've seen dirty throttle bodies do it, I've seen IAC motors do it, but never in my life a battery or alternator.

Not trying to dis FFR just trying to give forum members accurate info.

Someone tell me I'm wrong.

I was thinking this same thing. Actually my battery is dead right now and I have to jump it to start it. Still drives around just fine. Not saying that it couldn't happen, just is highly unlikely.