2" shackles, to Drop Rear leafs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JLytle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drive a 02 Ram 1500 2wd and I think the rear sits way to high. So I installed my 2" McGaughys drop shackles and I got maybe a inch of drop. I want my truck to sit level, and the rear sits at about 37.5" and the front at 35". I have been looking at drop leaf springs, but I havent seen any reviews on the ride quality or how difficult the install was? I like where the front sits but i just want the rear to sit level. So would 3" Belltechs do the trick? Thanks!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you ever tow, drop leafs suck.

if you don't tow, experiment with removing leafs from your leaf back. Especially if you never really tow, you can likely remove the 3/4" thick stubby leaf from the bottom, it'll help your truck right a lot better too.
I played around and ended up removing 2 leafs from my '99 1500 and it sat beautifully.

OP
OP
J

JLytle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sounds pretty good. I usually don't tow as I have a 12 valve to do what little towing might happen. My truck is a daily driver, so ride quality would be nice but it isn't imperative. I will try to make the time about removing the lower leaf. Did you need any different hardware as far as u bolts and such?

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could do it the redneck way and just heat the rear springs. But your best bet is doing like WhiteExpress said.

justadodgeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you ever tow, drop leafs suck.

if you don't tow, experiment with removing leafs from your leaf back. Especially if you never really tow, you can likely remove the 3/4" thick stubby leaf from the bottom, it'll help your truck right a lot better too.
I played around and ended up removing 2 leafs from my '99 1500 and it sat beautifully.
I removed two springsfor a while and loved the look but it took the arc out of my springs big time. and it was really bouncy even with new shocks. i then tried out just taking out the helper spring and it was still pretty boucy but looked good and eventually i was riding on the bumpstops 24/7 and it rode like **** i just now put my helper springsback on and its back to perfect but it may be worth it to you. i also hauled without my helper springs everything to a bed loaf to an excavator and it sucked. you can pretty much sit on the bumpstops if you put a dirt bike in the back.
dsfgsdg_zpsf6aee11b.jpg This is stock
481824_3474775486670_47784330_n_zps1dd0ce2a.jpg This is will same drop shackles as guy above and no helper springs. yours wont sit this low because your springs aren't as wore out as mine because i rode with only two springs for a while.
photo_zps9cfa7164.jpg this is with two inch drop shackles and helpers put back in so you can definitely tell that riding without all the springs did de-arch them. hope this helps man if i were you i would do an axle flip or do something other than what you are talking about because it makes your ride horrible and bouncy.