Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2005 2500 crew cab gas and my front left shock is super stiff and the right is soft. I'm not sure if one is messed up or they just need to be adjusted. I'm pretty sure they're stock too. I'm new to trucks and especially heavy duty. I want to replace all of them with some new slightly softer ones because even though I have a 2500 I don't plan on hauling anything anytime soon. Anyone have any advice or which kinds of shocks can help me? I was looking into some bilsteins before but I'm not sure which sizes to get. I plan on leveling it in the near future before I get shocks. The back has an add a leaf or something in it. It sits higher than normal. So I also am not sure what size level kit to get either. As much help as possible would be amazing.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It sounds like your shocks are toast. Auto anything has Bilstein's on sale right now. Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks & Struts - SHIPS FREE

As far as leveling goes I would recommend going with leveling coils vs a spacer for a better ride. it'll cost a little more, but you'll be much happier with the ride quality. I am selling a set of 2" Thuren soft ride coils if you are interested, I went back to the stock height in the front. https://www.thurenfabrication.com/p...ents/coils/2-soft-ride-performance-coils.html
Being that you have a gas engine, it'll be closer to 2.5" of level. They used to list the level height of gas and diesel trucks, but they revamped their site a while back.

OP
OP
Tteal235

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds like your shocks are toast. Auto anything has Bilstein's on sale right now. Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks & Struts - SHIPS FREE

As far as leveling goes I would recommend going with leveling coils vs a spacer for a better ride. it'll cost a little more, but you'll be much happier with the ride quality. I am selling a set of 2" Thuren soft ride coils if you are interested, I went back to the stock height in the front. https://www.thurenfabrication.com/p...ents/coils/2-soft-ride-performance-coils.html
Being that you have a gas engine, it'll be closer to 2.5" of level. They used to list the level height of gas and diesel trucks, but they revamped their site a while back.
So I would pretty much need the springs and new shocks? And if I plan on leveling it, say 2.5", I would need shocks for that hieght, or just normal size shocks and springs?

And I'm also running 34"s, would that take affect on what sizes I buy too?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I would pretty much need the springs and new shocks? And if I plan on leveling it, say 2.5", I would need shocks for that hieght, or just normal size shocks and springs?

And I'm also running 34"s, would that take affect on what sizes I buy too?

Springs and shocks for the front and shocks for the rear, if leveling. If you are not leveling the truck then you'll just need new shocks. The shocks in the link I added to my first post will work for the stock height or leveled so you can buy them now and add a level later and be fine, or you can install them and level at the same time.

Your tires won't change anything as far as what shocks or level you go with. If they fit and work now, they will after the new shocks/level.

OP
OP
Tteal235

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So those thurens were a little out of my price range but I did some looking and found these:

Skyjacker D20, Skyjacker Softride Coil Springs | Skyjacker

These are about the same right, and what does it mean "with a 2.5 wide rear springs?"
Like I mentioned before I'm pretty sure the previous owner of my truck out an add a leaf in the rear or something, so how would I know if 2" would be enough to level it?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't know anything about those. Per the description they are listed for for a 94-01 Ram 2500. I am not sure why they list those years specifically, but it is something that I would look into if you plan to go that route.
2.5" would be the width of the rear leaf spring. Generally 1/2 ton trucks have a narrower rear spring that a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

OP
OP
Tteal235

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh ok I got it now. Thanks man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluehayward

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm having a hard time finding front shocks for my truck, i was hoping to get bilstein 5100s or Fox shocks

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
when you say add a leaf,are you talking an added leaf to the pack or are you talking supersprings or helwigs? supersprings and hellwigs can be pre loaded for more lift,but a stiffer ride unloaded.no need for a block.you can lower the bolt/roller or loosen the u bolt depending on the spring to unload it and may not have to level it.my 2500 is loaded to the second bolt hole and is 4 inches taller in the rear than the front right now.next weekend i'm installing a 2.5 inch taller front spring and bilsteins all around and unloading the rear superspring till the camper goes back on.