Another Rim/Offset Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yep, thats right, another rim offset question to plague this forum with. Unfortunately searching for it comes up with nothing because searching "-12" "-24" isnt allowed so "offset" is the only thing recognized and then everything under the sun about offset shows up.

Heres the issue.
Been looking for rims for my 4x4 2500 for quite some time and no matter how many times i change which rim i like, i can never figure out the offset that would give me my desired look.

Id like some tire to stick out a bit to give it a more aggressive stance. Saw -12 on a 4th gen 2500 and they barely stuck out if at all but im not sure if -12s would look any different on the 3rds. I really havent been able to find too many -24s despite knowing that hundreds on here are probably running them due to people not saying theyre -24 or not showing a good pic or whatever the case may be. The only thing that i have found and can make a very solid decision on is that i absolutely most definitely DO NOT want -44 lol

The idea is to have the tire stick out and then throw some flares on, but not have the flares completely cover the tire with any room to spare. If the tires are a bit wider or flush with the top of the flare than im okay with that.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
1) What's your suspension setup?
2) What width of rim are you looking to run? Stating offset without rim width doesn't mean anything; the two go hand in hand
3) What size tires are you wanting to run?
4) What size flares are you wanting to run? OEM or pocket flares?

Need answers to all those questions before we can really give you any solid information.

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
1) What's your suspension setup?
2) What width of rim are you looking to run? Stating offset without rim width doesn't mean anything; the two go hand in hand
3) What size tires are you wanting to run?
4) What size flares are you wanting to run? OEM or pocket flares?

Need answers to all those questions before we can really give you any solid information.

Oh crap. Completely left everything out
1) i have a carli 3" level going in as soon as the weather gets decent enough. Might be throwing something small in the back but im not worried about the rear
2) looking to run 17x9s
3) probably going to be 35x12.5x17 nitto tg
4) definitely pocket flares. Dont know the brand yet, but something like bushwacker

Sorry bout that. Bit of an oversight on my part

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want to have poke beyond pocket flares you'll want to go with a 17x10 -24 offset wheel. A 17x10 -12 offset will end up sitting fairly flush with the flares and a 17x9 will definitely still be tucked under them. Either setup will work no problem with the 3" lift.

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you want to have poke beyond pocket flares you'll want to go with a 17x10 -24 offset wheel. A 17x10 -12 offset will end up sitting fairly flush with the flares and a 17x9 will definitely still be tucked under them. Either setup will work no problem with the 3" lift.

Well i took a look and to go up to a 10" wide rim will cost a minor fortune in comparison to what im looking at. Now, i cant believe im going to say this, but i have to ask. I know i can achieve it, but would it even be smart to get 17x9 with -12mm and throw some good spacers on there

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO 17x9 will not give you the look you want simply because your going to have the face of your rim sticking out past your fenderwell. The aggressive look again IMO is achieved by having what looks like all tire sticking out past fender, which would require the rim to be a bit deeper, I got away with it with a 20x10-12. Ive seen guys try to save some money,and or plain ole not do their research or homework and invest all that money in rims and tires and not pull off what they thought theyd achieve...Rims and tires make or break any vehicle. Don't screw this up by attempting to save a coupla bucks...I found this link very helpful in seeing every rim tire offset combination and helped me a lot in visualizing the numbers!!!!
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I found this link very helpful in seeing every rim tire offset combination and helped me a lot in visualizing the numbers!!!!
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/

Ive lived on this website the past few days and its incredibly helpful. The thing is, do i wana pay $1800 for rims and tires or $3500 for rims as tires just because i want that little bit out past the flares. I dont know about you but i could definitely change my opinion for $1700

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I looked again and ive dug really deep to find all the 17x10s and i cant wrap my head around paying for them just for the look. I want the stance, but im not gonna buy a set of rims i dont like and are much more than i care to pay

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would recommend going to a few different suppliers for pricing. There's no way jumping to a 17x10 should cost that much more than a 17x9. That's just ridiculous. Really it should be cheaper to run a 17x10 -24 offset than a 17x9 -12 offset with a good set a spacers (which cost around $450-$500.

Contact some places like Mr. Wheel Deal and Rimzone and see what kind of prices you get from them. Definitely don't base all your pricing off of Custom Offsets.

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would recommend going to a few different suppliers for pricing. There's no way jumping to a 17x10 should cost that much more than a 17x9. That's just ridiculous. Really it should be cheaper to run a 17x10 -24 offset than a 17x9 -12 offset with a good set a spacers (which cost around $450-$500.

Contact some places like Mr. Wheel Deal and Rimzone and see what kind of prices you get from them. Definitely don't base all your pricing off of Custom Offsets.

Ive looked all over the internet, and on website i havent even heard of.
I was looking at running 17x9 ballistic jesters which are about $700 and change to my front door. Well ballistic doesnt have 10" wide in anything so i cant get the rims i like. When i look up 17x10 with 8x165.1(6.5) bolt pattern theres only 3 different rims that easily cost a grand, and i dont like any of them. If ballistic made 10" wide rims for me theyd be stupid expensive so i guess spacers is the last option