HID KIT worked on 06, won't work on 04, why???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ok so a friend of mine bought my h13 Bi-Xenon HID Kit from me. I had it in my 2006 ram and it worked 100%.

I sold it to him, he has a 2004 ram but the front end has the 06+ conversion. So he cut and wired in the h13 plug where the hb5 plug used to be for his bulbs.

Anyways, everything is hooked up. We used a multimeter to test the 3 wires on the trucks wiring harness and we found the ground, high and low wires. We then matched the hid kits high low and ground wires to be in the proper spot to Match the truck once the plugs connected.

The bulb (it's bi-xenon) moves in and out correctly for high and low beam, the high beam works properly, but the low beam flickers.

The kit has a relay harness and capacitors that I ordered with it so the Capacitors should stop the flicker.

Does anyone with and 04 know what we're missing here?? Why won't this work. Every connection was triple checked including grounds, Ballast plugs, + wire to battery, etc and very thing is wired correctly.

Do the 04 trucks require something else the 06 didn't, for this to work?

Here is some pictures of what the wiring looks like.

(***WIRING IS NOT SOLDERED OR HEAT SHRUNK BECAUSE WIRES MIGHT NEED TO BE MOVED, I KNOW THE CURRENT SETUP IS NOT "CORRECT" BECAUSE IT'S NOT DONE YET***)

1. This is the trucks original bulb socket harness. The wires (coming from the right) are from the trucks oem harness and right under the fingers is the truck side h13 plug.
Wires1.jpg

2. This is the High-Low-Ground wires from the HID Kits relay harness that plug into the trucks h13 harness. We used a meter and found which wires were high-low-ground on the truck side harness and then cut and switched the hid kit wires so the high-low-ground were in the right spot to Match the trucks plug.
Wires3.jpg

3. The whole wiring mess.
Wires2.jpg

All I know is the high-low-ground on the hid kit plug matches the high-low-ground on the trucks bulb plug. So since those match, the hid kit has capacitors, the grounds are good, why are the low beams flickering but the high beams are working???

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
if you don't have resistors on the high and low beam circuits on both sides.....it won't work. Typically a bix harness for the H13 setup would have resistors on one side......on the high and low circuit. Its needed on both sides for a 02-05.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7

vivasantana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7HEMI
Is this the only bulb kit that needs these resistors or do all the LED style need them?

I bought the HB5 9007 kit & having issues like that when switching to high beam and back.
As well as Fog lights going out.
Thinking it may be my Multi-switch

BTW, the kit I got stated Plug n Play

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007