resurfacing front rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bighor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How much meat do they take off when resurfacing rotors? my front rotor thicknesses are 27.7mm and 27.9mm. The minimum is 26.4mm.

Should I have them resurfaced or replaced? Do you change brake pads after you resurface or replace rotors?

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I always just replace them, its about the same price by the time you factor in shop rates to machine them. Machined rotors also tend to warp easier as they are no longer as thick. and the amount they take off always varries depending on the wear and warpage that is on the rotor, I also personally recommend new pads as well as the old ones will be wore funny to the old rotors

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on how warped the rotors are.... you might be able to save them. We use to turn rotors for people at the O'Reillys I use to work at for $5 bucks a piece.... also depends on how well trained the person turning the rotors is on the machine. Should always put new pads on new or resurfaced rotors.

OP
OP
bighor

bighor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks I'll order new ones. I'm looking in the service manual for removal and installation instructions. Some of the instructions say they are for "HD DRW ONLY". What do HD and DRW stand for? last question: will this 3-ton jack work to lift my truck: http://www.costco.com/.product.996603.html? Thanks