Rust fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have some rust on the bottom of my door on the inside. I was planning on sanding it down, possibly do some bondo and then paint it. I was told before to sand down rust and then use a rust inhibitor then primer/paint. Now when I was at the local auto store I saw a product called Rust Block and its a rust inhibitor. I also saw in same aisle Duplicolor rust fix. The Rust Block states to sand then spray on the surface and it will last up to 6 months. The rust fix says to sand but also sanding is not needed but to spray the rust and it will turn the rust into a black color which stops/kills rust.

My question is which product/ processs should I do?

My next question is, at the bottom of the door on the inside you can see it has a lip I would say, well a section of that the rust dominated and when I sanding some of it, it just took those pieces off. I sad a product called 3M bondo self adhesive patch. Should I use that in that section then do some bondo over that/sand/primer/paint/clear?

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was going to use Duplicolor perfect match paint, and the duplicolor primer. Are they good paint/primers?

Do you think I should bondo or just sand/Permatex/primer/paint/clear?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
The duplicolor brand is pretty good. But you need to prep the spot you will be painting real well. Use the rust dissolver first to get rid of the rust that will be where you will be painting. Then use either an etching primer or standard primer. Make sure the primer dries fully before painting. With the Dupli Color you will need to get their clear coat also. Just follow the directions, do proper and complete prep work, and your fix should last for a long time.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should I sand first then use the rust dissolver? About to order me a bottle.

RyanJM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express RC Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a dupont or ppg paint store near you they can mix your color to match and put it in a aerosol can for you. Sprays like the dupilcolor and other brands bit the match can be better. Depends on your truck. Sometimes there are several variations for the same paint code. Depending on the color of your truck the duplicolor could be a perfect match or not.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haven't got to do this yet which is bothering me so I am hoping next few days I'm off I can do it. Hopefully I can go out and get all the supplies this week for this job!