stripping chrome off grille with... acid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So even though buying a new bare plastic shell is pretty cheap, shipping is not. cant find one for less then 80 bucks shipping. im thinking about having a chrome plating shop by me give it a acid bath to strip it down to plastic and the guy said hes done lots of plastic grilles and a few ram grilles and has had 100% success with the few ram grilles, and has about a 90% success rate in general.... but those other 10% grilles melted lol and he said obviously he cant garauntee me it wont melt... but its a lot cheaper then buying a grille and shipping (as long as it doesnt melt.) anyway i was just hoping i could hear from someone whos had success with this method to ease my mind a little before i give him my grille lol. anyone?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe they use oven cleaner to remove the chrome when doing custom headlights.... not sure if that would work also on the grill???

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe they use oven cleaner to remove the chrome when doing custom headlights.... not sure if that would work also on the grill???
I wish, the chrome in the headlights I believe is just a paint or whatever it is it comes off real easy... I'm in the process of doing my headlights and was surprised how easy that chrome came right off. The chrome on the grille however doesn't budge lol though I've never heard of using oven cleaner, I'll look into that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Moose Knuckle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So even though buying a new bare plastic shell is pretty cheap, shipping is not. cant find one for less then 80 bucks shipping. im thinking about having a chrome plating shop by me give it a acid bath to strip it down to plastic and the guy said hes done lots of plastic grilles and a few ram grilles and has had 100% success with the few ram grilles, and has about a 90% success rate in general.... but those other 10% grilles melted lol and he said obviously he cant garauntee me it wont melt... but its a lot cheaper then buying a grille and shipping (as long as it doesnt melt.) anyway i was just hoping i could hear from someone whos had success with this method to ease my mind a little before i give him my grille lol. anyone?

I literally peeled mine off. Took a long time and some cuts, but saved a ton of money

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine has a small bubble in it by itself, i could probably peel most of it off if i tried.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard of this, as well as the cuts lol. Did you have some kind of spot that was already bubbled or peeled to start from or how do you get the peeling started? I'm all about saving money ha

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine has a small bubble in it by itself, i could probably peel most of it off if i tried.
Yeah mine looks basically new, not a single bubble or anything so not sure how to lift a area to be able to start peeling

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you could try and scratch it to the plastic maybe. mine must have gotten a tiny chip from a rock, and driving around has caused it to bubble.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oven cleaner will peel it, air craft remover, or goof off, the yellow can not the citrus stuff.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if I could just take a razor and cut a little piece off the back and start peeling around to the front that way. How much time is a long time lol a few solid hours or are we talking like days

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oven cleaner will peel it, air craft remover, or goof off, the yellow can not the citrus stuff.
I'm shocked I've never heard of using these, I'll definitely grab some and give it a shot

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the responses! now i have a few things to try. ill try the oven cleaner and or aircraft remover and if that dont work ill try hand peeling

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wear gloves, be well ventilated area, check goggles while you are at it. That stuff does not play around.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
aircraft stripper wont take the chrome off the grill, ive used it on other plastic parts that are chrome and it doesn't come off, cleans it really well though, also make sure you have strong chemical gloves when using aircraft stripper, it will burn your hands, pretty quickly at that, and a close friend got it on his hand and it melted his fingernails

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
aircraft stripper wont take the chrome off the grill, ive used it on other plastic parts that are chrome and it doesn't come off, cleans it really well though, also make sure you have strong chemical gloves when using aircraft stripper, it will burn your hands, pretty quickly at that, and a close friend got it on his hand and it melted his fingernails

holy smokes lol. Yeah so ive been researching both the oven cleaner and aircraft remover and ive came up with basically it wont work and also it can mess up my plastic. im sure it works great on chromes like in the headlights and stuff but the chrome on the grilles are different. blahhhh stupid chrome :flipthebird:

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i believe i might just pay the 50 bucks to have the guy acid bathe it and just cross my fingers and hope for the best. i cant stop thinking about the possibility of paying someone 50 bucks to ruin my grill and then have to buy a new one anyway lol

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
If your truck is 2007 ebay has a brand new grill 106.95 then you wouldn't have to do nothing.I be darn if I would risk messing up a grill and paying someone 50 dollars to ruin my grill for 56.95 more you have a new grill and it has free shipping you probably could find one in a junk yard that isn't messed for what it takes to strip that grill.If you don't have the money wait and get it later.I believe working and fixing stuff if I have to but dang.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your truck is 2007 ebay has a brand new grill 106.95 then you wouldn't have to do nothing.I be darn if I would risk messing up a grill and paying someone 50 dollars to ruin my grill for 56.95 more you have a new grill and it has free shipping you probably could find one in a junk yard that isn't messed for what it takes to strip that grill.If you don't have the money wait and get it later.I believe working and fixing stuff if I have to but dang.
Could you post a link to that grill for 107? I'm not lazy I swear lol I'm just horrendous at searching on the net. Yeah I'm definitely a do it myself kinda guy and it's really hard to get myself to spend 100 bucks on something that I already have BUT, in this case I think I'll just do it. I just spent about 5 minutes trying to just get even a flake to peel off the back end and literally didn't get even a hair so f that ha

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Go to ebay type grill to fit 2007 ram 1500 it will pull it up.I'm trying to help some of this stuff you got to think if you want a headache or piece of mind and sometimes cutting cost is good and sometimes not.So good luck and God Bless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to ebay type grill to fit 2007 ram 1500 it will pull it up.I'm trying to help some of this stuff you got to think if you want a headache or piece of mind and sometimes cutting cost is good and sometimes not.So good luck and God Bless.
Thanks brotha

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990