04 Ram possible heater control problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Ok - so I'm driving along with the warm to cool air blowing into my vehicle (it was about 65 degrees outside in San Antonio - sorry folks on the east coast :joke:) when it started only blow hot air. I did not have the A/C on nor was it on recirculation.

I tried tried turning the knob heater knob to cold and it was still only hot air. When I turned it up to HOT it was still the same temperature.

All the positions on the vent knob work fine - cycling from defroster all the way to recirculation.

I don't notice any cooling occurring when I do hit the A/C button either - still HOT air coming out through the vents.

I checked all the fuses and they were fine. Coolant is topped off as well. Not real sure hot to check the relays but it seems odd that one would go out during operation.

Does this sound like the heater control panel might need to be replaced? Again, the fan speed and vent control work when the knobs are turned - only the heat control doesn't appear to be working.

Any advice?
Jeff

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Check for the relay controlling the heater control circuit. That is where I would start.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Where is that relay located? In the fuse box? How do you check if its working or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not totally positive on the 04 but it may be in the engine bay next to the battery. To check it you will have to have someone cycle the switch while the key is at the on position with the motor off. Listen to the relay it should make an audible click.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sometimes I miss the old days when you could follow the cable to the little door that opened and closed under the dash to control the heat….LOL

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sometimes I miss the old days when you could follow the cable to the little door that opened and closed under the dash to control the heat….LOL

My 1972 Hemicuda has the nice manual controls. Something goes wrong I just replace the cable. Now we gotta have a degree in electrical engineering to fix something on our trucks.

Shane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
having the same issue on my 02 dodge.takes me about 20 or so minutes of flipping middle control back and forth but it finally kicks door closed to let heat in truck.would that be the same switch as above I need to replace or would it be door motor that closes it off for the heat?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
having the same issue on my 02 dodge.takes me about 20 or so minutes of flipping middle control back and forth but it finally kicks door closed to let heat in truck.would that be the same switch as above I need to replace or would it be door motor that closes it off for the heat?

It could be either. But more sounds like the switch too me. But do not discount the door motor.