Driver Seat Cushion Anyone tried this cushion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need to repair my driver seat cushion, or replace the foam. This new seat cushion claims to have a ten year warranty and be much better than the OEM foam....has anyone tried it? It is very pricey but I do not wish to do this job again, if possible:

2006-2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Truck Front Seat Cushion Bottom Upgrade Driver Side (excluding Occupant Classification System) at 1A Auto.com

ALSO....apparently I must know if my 2007 Ram has Occupant Classification System....or OCS....I know from my window sticker that this truck has "Advanced Multistage Air Bags"....does that mean that I do have OCS??

Thanks for your help!!

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
ALSO....apparently I must know if my 2007 Ram has Occupant Classification System....or OCS....I know from my window sticker that this truck has "Advanced Multistage Air Bags"....does that mean that I do have OCS??
I think what that means is does the truck have sensors that determine if the seat is occupied or maybe something that detects pressure on the cushion and how forceful the bags deploy relative to the weight detected-like, say, under/over ~100 lbs? Just guessing, I would think "advanced multi-stage air bags" means you do, but it may only be applicable to passenger side. Hopefully, someone will have a definitive answer.

OP
OP
S

slowdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well one of the auto parts retailer that sells this new cushion tells me that per my VIN number this cushion will not work...I assume he means that I have OCS, but I am still not sure. I also emailed online retailers that sell the OEM cushions (some cushions for OCS equipped trucks and some not) and the answers that I got back were mixed. I need a way to verify whether or not my 2007 Ram Quad with cloth 40/20/40 seats have OCS sensors or not in the Driver's side....surely there is a way to find out without tearing the seat apart prior to ordering the cushion. Anyone know?? Thanks!

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I don't know, Iam just spit-balling here. Is it a pressure sensor, to trip the seat belt warning message? Or is it something to do with heated seats?

Last edited:

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is 10 years old and the oem driver foam is just recently starting sag from wear. The OCS detects children, 30 to 60lbs in the passenger seat and disables the air bags on that side. I couldn't find where it mentioned about the driver side so I assume on that side it just detects when someone is there. I wouldn't spend that much when you can get OEM on eBay for about $80 to $90 shipped.

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
Mine seem to only last 3 years. It would be nice to find one that didn't break down so fast.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw a mod somewhere to fix the wearing down on the outside of the driver cushion. When you have the old cushion off, you grind down the sharp metal parts that cut into the cushion, and wrap them in something. I think the forum I saw wrapped it in some sort of tape, probably duct tape. Keeps it lasting a little longer.

OP
OP
S

slowdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never could find out if my seat has the OCS so I am just going to try and do the repair mod as described on the various forums....at least it will hold me for a while I guess (no pun intended!). When I tear it apart to do the repair maybe I can determine if it has a sensor in the driver's seat.... Thanks for the help!

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
usaf2006: your correct the thread the person made grinder down all the welds on the frame of the seat to make it all nice and smooth (this is a must) they he glue burlap to the bottom of the cushion and also on top of the seat frame after sanding. He also added foam on top to make it more comfortable.

07rambo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your seats detect anything it would only be the passenger seat. it's safe to say that not many people drive from any other seat so why have it in the driver seat ???

Hot Ducer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did this turn out? I'm just starting to research how to fix my driver seat, and would welcome any advice/input

'03 5.7 4x4 1500

OP
OP
S

slowdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this a really delayed response.... I tried to rebuild or reconstitute my OEM cushion and that helped for a while but it did not last very long. 1AAuto has begun to sell an upgraded MDI foam seat cushion that will fit a Ram with Occupancy Classification System ( OCS ). It took me forever to figure out if I have OCS on my 2007 Ram SLT Quad Cab and I found that I do. The OCS is a black box that is located under the middle jump seat....it is mounted to the tranny tunnel with the carpet cut away and it sticks up through the carpet....you cannot miss it once you know what to look for. This new MDI cushion is MUCH more comfortable and fit perfectly. I purchased mine from an Ebay seller AM-Autoparts....but the box had 1AAuto on it.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I know this a really delayed response.... I tried to rebuild or reconstitute my OEM cushion and that helped for a while but it did not last very long. 1AAuto has begun to sell an upgraded MDI foam seat cushion that will fit a Ram with Occupancy Classification System ( OCS ). It took me forever to figure out if I have OCS on my 2007 Ram SLT Quad Cab and I found that I do. The OCS is a black box that is located under the middle jump seat....it is mounted to the tranny tunnel with the carpet cut away and it sticks up through the carpet....you cannot miss it once you know what to look for. This new MDI cushion is MUCH more comfortable and fit perfectly. I purchased mine from an Ebay seller AM-Autoparts....but the box had 1AAuto on it.
Thanks! I wonder if that design continued in Gen4s... was wondering WTF that black box was for!

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
^^^^^^^^Thanks! I wonder if that design continued in Gen4s... was wondering WTF that black box was for!
Government spy's ! I covered it with tin foil:uhoh2: