No floor heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I noticed today there's very little heat going to the floor. Is this the blend door I've read about? Tough job to fix it?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard more time consuming than hard. Have to pull the whole dash out. Sounds like blend door to me

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I went in on Monday to have the air bag recalls done. I was told the passenger side air bag necessitated removing quite a bit of the dash. Since I have the same problem of no floor heat, I asked how much it would cost for the one door repair and would there be any labor concession since they were supposedly removing stuff in the way.

The service writer just went into "well, we charge $125/hr. for diagnosis and $125/hr. for labor". I told him I didn't need a diagnosis and asked again what book time was for the repair. He told me "well, you look pretty handy with tools..maybe you ought to give it a shot". :flipthebird:

I think I'm going to do just that. There's videos of at least the door at the blower motor being replaced. Just hope that's the only one.

OP
OP
B

bory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well that guy didn't sound very helpful at all

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well that guy didn't sound very helpful at all

Probably just assumed that he didn't want to pay the 1,000 dollars they were probably gonna charge.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went in on Monday to have the air bag recalls done. I was told the passenger side air bag necessitated removing quite a bit of the dash. Since I have the same problem of no floor heat, I asked how much it would cost for the one door repair and would there be any labor concession since they were supposedly removing stuff in the way.

The service writer just went into "well, we charge $125/hr. for diagnosis and $125/hr. for labor". I told him I didn't need a diagnosis and asked again what book time was for the repair. He told me "well, you look pretty handy with tools..maybe you ought to give it a shot". :flipthebird:

I think I'm going to do just that. There's videos of at least the door at the blower motor being replaced. Just hope that's the only one.

The door at the blower motor is the recirc door. This doesn't have anything to do with what vents air comes out of. Replacing the recirc door isn't too bad. The blend doors though (which is what you need) are a good bit more involved.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Yeah, I kinda know the individual door functions but not so much how they work together or individually nor the specific names for each..not terribly interesting until you have no airflow.

Nonetheless, I think that door still needs replacement. I've heard rattling in it, and I think it's some plastic contacting the blower vanes.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had all 4 common failure doors replaced with heatertreater.com doors. If little or no air goes to your feet check to see if it is blowing through the windshield defroster vents. If this is the case, then it is one of the doors. I am hoping to keep my truck for years, so to me this was worth it...

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I've had all 4 common failure doors replaced with heatertreater.com doors. If little or no air goes to your feet check to see if it is blowing through the windshield defroster vents. If this is the case, then it is one of the doors. I am hoping to keep my truck for years, so to me this was worth it...
And that's my deal; my truck has a gas engine/manual transmission, and that drivetrain isn't available anymore on any full-size trucks. And I bought it new and it's served me well. So I don't mind spending some money and would've had all the doors replaced if they would've given some consideration for the disassembly for the recall facilitating the door replacement.
S'OK-I might just do this over the holidays, myself.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Got it done. Worst two parts were not knowing of the two bolts holding the dash assembly to the steering column bracket and the A/C lines. Maybe it's just the video I watched and the write-up I read, but those two bolts weren't mentioned.

I wanted to throw in a word for Heater Treater. I used their doors, even though I didn't cut the plenum. The only issue I had was having to adjust some bent splines on one actuator. A nice touch was including the 9V leads to test actuators. Their doors are miles away from the cheap plastic stuff. Chris (with HT) even gives you some tips about Dodge HVAC performance.

To my surprise, all my doors were intact except for recirc door deteriorating. Think that's what was making the rattle on the fan. But Mode 1 door wore away the limiter and Mode 2 had a stripped-out splined coupler.

Too bad the dealer is going to re-open some of this for the passenger airbag recall (supposedly now mid-January). Probably for the best they didn't agree to some concession on the HVAC, considering they didn't have that part when they did the driver's side airbag-although they said they did.

So, it's a fairly big job. But if you give yourself two days for the first time, you should be fine on time.

jeff the jerk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i have the same issue for now i just stuck a coat hanger through the passenger side and propped it open a bit so i have heat coming out the floor and defrost quick fix until warmer weather

OP
OP
B

bory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Haha like that idea