HVAC Question - luke warm heat, no A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Back in the fall/winter I mentioned that my 2500 suffered a similar issue to many... luke warm heat. I backflushed the heater core a few times and got the heat working well for a short period. Right towards the end of winter the heat was falling off again. Quite frankly I ignored it because temps were beginning to rise and assumed that I'd probably replace the core before next winter.

Up until yesterday the AC in the truck would run you out of there. Yesterday when I started it up, the truck had zero A/C and was blowing hot air. I shut the truck off and restarted it and got cooler air for about 10 minutes before it became hot again. I set an appointment with my local shop to look at it on Monday but I am trying to determine what might be causing the issue. I have great air flow in terms of the vents, all blower motor settings work fine, and everything switches between the different modes (vents, floor, defrost, etc... with no issue.

At first I assumed it was just a heater core issue, but considering that neither are working properly now I am wondering if there's a larger issue at play. Any suggestions on what I can test this weekend? I haven't yet determined if the compressor is kicking on (will check today) but it seems as if the truck just blows the ambient air temp all the time regardless of the setting.

Last edited: