2 engine codes being thrown, need opinions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram1500BigRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
So, tonight I was pulling out of my drive way to go get food. Everything was fine until I started going up hill at the end of my road. I gave the truck some gas, then my check engine light started screaming at me, and the whole truck acted like it was hesitating to go. I turned around and headed back home, and my neighbor (who just so happens to be my insurance guy) came over with his engine tester. The engine is throwing 2 codes. P0171, and P0174. 0171 is causing 0174, and I think it's my fuel filter, because 0171 is fuel running too lean. I just am curious what you guys think. It would be greatly appreciated if someone know the solution!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Check your fuel pressure, intake and vacuum system for leaks, check pcv, test your MAF sensor and also test o2's.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 has detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1. The P0171 is one of the more common trouble codes.

This code is triggered by the first downstream (front) O2 sensor. The sensor provides a reading of the air:fuel ratio leaving the engine's cylinders, and the vehicles powertrain/engine control module (PCM/ECM) uses that reading and adjusts to keep the engine running at that optimum ratio

It can also be triggered by a dirty throttle body, a cracked PCV line which also causes a vacuum leak, a faulty PCV valve, a sticking fuel injector, a failed O2 sensor or an exhaust leak between the engine and the first O2 sensor.

Here's some things to try:

Clean your throttle body
Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace/repair as required
Inspect all hoses and connections in the air intake system
Inspect and/or test the intake manifold gaskets for leakage
Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure
Check the connection and harness at the first O2 sensor.