5.7 Hemi, Block 2 Deactivation Solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyFirstRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted this two days ago and it disappeared so here I go again.

My 2007 Ram 1500, 230k miles, had a check engine light and engine was misfiring Monday morning. Autozone tested it and gave me a code that said Cylinder Deactivation Solenoid for Block 2 needed replaced. Part is about $95, but it's under the air intake manifold. I'm wondering if at this point replacing just the one Deactivation Solenoid is the best option. Just a few months ago I had the coil pack and plugs for one cylinder replaced after bad misfiring.
Never dug into this engine like what will be needed for this. I'll search youtube for video on doing it to decide if I'm capable of doing it or just take it to a shop.
Any tips on removing the intake manifold and/or on this solenoid are appreciated.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
This is a very simple thing to do and you don't even need to disconnect the fuel line if you don't want to but to do so requires a $5 fuel line disconnect tool which will be the most annoying part of the whole process and I recommend removing it to make it asier to clear the A/C lines. There are 10 bolts holding the manifold in place and after removing the intake tubing, disconnect the MAP sensor at the front, the throttle body connector, the injector plugs, and the manifold will just lift straight off. There are 3 hoses to remove, the brake booster and the Fresh Air Make Up are easy to remove and very visible, the smaller 1/4" line to the purge solenoid can be annoying only because it's right behind the A/C compressor. If you didn't disconnect the fuel hose just spin it to the driver's side and you'll have the block valley looking right at you. The EGR tube removes very easily.

If you remove the manifold then I highly recommend now is the time to give it a good cleaning inside and clean the throttle body as well since it's off and easily accessible.

MAP sensor location
IMG_3052.jpg

MDS solenoids
IMG_3056.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MyFirstRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No videos online with this model/year engine to help me beyond what you told me, but it seems pretty straight forward. Every time I search for the "Deactivation Solenoid" I find more videos and forums that say MDS sensor. What's the connection between the two?

In the second pic you posted, is one of the Deactivation Solenoids half way down and on the right edge? Looks like a circle with a red/black connection pointing up?

There are 4 of these solenoids?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
No videos online with this model/year engine to help me beyond what you told me, but it seems pretty straight forward. Every time I search for the "Deactivation Solenoid" I find more videos and forums that say MDS sensor. What's the connection between the two?

In the second pic you posted, is one of the Deactivation Solenoids half way down and on the right edge? Looks like a circle with a red/black connection pointing up?

There are 4 of these solenoids?

There are no actual MDS sensors, there are only the solenoids that control the MDS system. The engine uses the PCM to control the solenoids which cause the valves to not open because the lifters collapse but it also cuts the injectors and spark plugs on the 4 MDS cylinders. There are 4 solenoids and yes, they are on the right side of that picture, it's the only things under the intake manifold on the 3rd gen's non-VVT block.