6.1 Hemi cam swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is there more to it then simply unplugging the old one and replacing it? Or do wires need switched around?

Well 03's don't use EGR and only have one cat. So besides getting rid of the TCM and repinning the connector to trans spot on the newer PCM, you have to decide if you're gonna go catless and write the O2's completely out of a custom tune and whether you're going to add EGR or write that out too. If you don't wanna write out the O2's then you have to add that to the harness. Then there's the whole thing of making sure the 05 PCM is flashed correctly; my truck doesn't have SKIM (chip key) but there's a good possibility that the 05 PCM I have is factory programmed with it so I'd have to have it reflashed to a program without it. If I'm not mistaken the cruise control is the PCM and if the donor PCM came out of a truck that didn't have it yours won't either unless it's flashed in.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I put on longtubes so I'm already catless. Will this gain me all the trans tuning, shift points, firmness and stuff? If people actually got this to work it seems like this is better then a cam at the moment

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I've got 1000 questions on this so I hope I'm not aggravating you haha

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I guess here's a few quick questions.
What year is best to get a new pcm, 04 or 05? I'll watch the local junkyards and eBay for a used pcm.
I saw stuff about using a a/f wideband sensor. Is this necessary?
What other parts is needed to complete the pcm swap? I like to know costs before I get into it as the truck is a daily so I don't want it stuck in my garage waiting for parts or money.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not at all lol. Yes, functionally performing this swap will turn your 03 into an 05 and you get to do all that stuff. Only reason I'm probably gonna have hotwireauto do it is I'm terrible at soldering lol and I'm also converting to the 06+ coil setup.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Ok I've done some calling around to try to find a used pcm. Does the new pcm have to be from a Hemi truck? Same bed length and fuel tank? Is an 04 pcm good enough or should I wait to find an 05?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
05 is better because it allows more tuning (including trans). Yes it will need to be from a hemi truck. You'll need to have it flashed unless you can verify the truck you got it from has the exact same options yours has.

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible and (with the cash flow) efficient enough to swap a 5.7 for a 6.1?

I guess I mean to say is it worth the trouble? If you can afford it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 03 though, the pcm barely has any tuning capabilities. I don't have rev limiter change, or idle adjustment and was told running a 260 it could occasionally stall, I don't want that

We're in the same boat as far as running a mild cam on superchips bud, don't matter that you got an 03 an it's mentally challenged as far as tuning an that I have a 04 in that aspect. With the love that some been giving 03s it's almost like the 04 is turning into the ******* child

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
05 is better because it allows more tuning (including trans). Yes it will need to be from a hemi truck. You'll need to have it flashed unless you can verify the truck you got it from has the exact same options yours has.

Any tips on the id numbers I need? Is buying a pcm from eBay an option? Do I just have them flash my vin and mileage and that's it?
I did a lot of reading on the Hemi truck forum. It was somewhat confusing, some guys were getting really in depth. Is it as simple as switching out the pcm and a few wires in the harness?

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
We're in the same boat as far as running a mild cam on superchips bud, don't matter that you got an 03 an it's mentally challenged as far as tuning an that I have a 04 in that aspect. With the love that some been giving 03s it's almost like the 04 is turning into the ******* child

Sorry, all this different info from so many different forums is getting me confused lol everyone has an opinion and an experience, so it's getting hard to decide what to do. I'm thinking the pcm swap is doable for me if I can find the right pcm. Then I can save up for a real cam if I decide I want to keep going.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you on hemitruckclub.com? There's a good thread on 03 to 05 pcm swaps. That forum is better than here as far as engine performance side

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This forum sucks **** as far as the engine & performance side goes, the other sections are ok but if you want good info don't look here. I'm not trying to be an ******* just guide you to answers. I love seeing a fast 3rd gen.

If your on FB look up The NADODGE page, lots of guys there that can help

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is it possible and (with the cash flow) efficient enough to swap a 5.7 for a 6.1?

I guess I mean to say is it worth the trouble? If you can afford it

Possible yes. Worth it depends on how far you're willing to go and spend lol. More power is always a better thing, but you'd be ahead basing a 392 on your 5.7 unless you want like a 426; then you run into blown RFE's lol.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Are you on hemitruckclub.com? There's a good thread on 03 to 05 pcm swaps. That forum is better than here as far as engine performance side

I'm not a member, I did a google search and read through most of a 60 page post on it. I think I'll register and research more. From what my limited knowledge was able to understand, it's pretty simple once you have a properly flashed pcm

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
This forum sucks **** as far as the engine & performance side goes, the other sections are ok but if you want good info don't look here. I'm not trying to be an ******* just guide you to answers. I love seeing a fast 3rd gen.

If your on FB look up The NADODGE page, lots of guys there that can help

No problem, I'm trying to read as much as I can do I'm not just asking the same questions 1000 other people have. I'm just having problems finding an end result writeup I guess.

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Possible yes. Worth it depends on how far you're willing to go and spend lol. More power is always a better thing, but you'd be ahead basing a 392 on your 5.7 unless you want like a 426; then you run into blown RFE's lol.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yeah I straight up googled it after I asked and I think I saw your post on one of the other forums or someone with your pic and they explained it pretty thoroughly.

I'm probably better off just rebuilding my engine or swapping for a better 5.7 and throwing a turbo kit, CAI, and all those other goodies after a while.

I need to learn how to rebuild tranny's [emoji51]

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've been investigating (well I started but it got pushed to the back burner) the possibility of adapting the TCI 4L80 based 6 speed. It would be fully standalone other than providing speed inputs for the speedo, etc.

OP
OP
chrisp2493

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

I've found a few pcms for around $100 at junkyards. If I pull one from a truck with similar options and engines, do I have to get the pcm flashed? Or am I ok with just switching them out? Will that affect my mileage counter or vin mismatch with a tuner? Does it matter if it is out of a 2 or 4 door truck?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It will affect your mileage, as well as (especially if you have SKIM) possibly not allowing it to run because of VIN mismatch. All you need is the PCM itself, getting it flashed last I checked wasn't all the expensive.