Caltracs Finally Installed... well kinda

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hey dudes, installed the caltracs yesterday. Had to wait so long, cause I wanted my buddy to weld the spring perches to the axle. So we welded them up, sanded them and painted them so they wont rust. Looks great. Took the leafs out, pressed the bushings, installed new aluminum bushings, and reinstalled them with the mounts. Only problem is, the threaded rods aren't long enough. They're 28 1/4 inches long and to properly set them, I need a 30 inch rod. Close, but just barely didn't fit. But I'll throw the pics up anyway, here in a lil while. At work, 12 hour shifts right now.

I called up Calvert Racing yesterday... those dudes are badass, and they're sending me the correct 30" rods for free, should be here thursday! Shibby!

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
mine was the same but opposite..my bars were too long (bought them used from another guy)...but yea, Calverts was great and sent me the correct size for free as well..

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Lol I have them on my cell phone, but this damn military computer wont let me upload them to this site. Have to do it on my home computer... sorry bro!
Wont let me visit the website image shack, and wont let me view the pics.

Last edited:

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
tease. not shibby trup, not shibby at all

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those are sweet!!!! I want that rear sway bar too!!!

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Now I just need the new shocks, so I can install these limiting straps. Maybe eventually some new leaf springs... these are rusted and have like 93K miles on them.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
those sway bars REALLY help out, I ran one on my 08, loved it!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Trup,
Didn't realize folks were having issues with different lenght bars. What is the key? 4x4 issue, year, RC / CC, what uses what? I didn't even measure mine has they fitted right up without issue. Curious....

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
he got the wrong parts from the start, they gave him the mounts for a non flipped axel

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
he got the wrong parts from the start, they gave him the mounts for a non flipped axel

Yeah,
I knew he had the wrong kit, I guess I assumed that the only actual differences was the rear mount. The front mount would be the same, the springs are all the same. So the axle bracket must mount slightly forward from the axle center-line on a non-flip setup resulting in the slightly shorter bar being used. Good to know....

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yeah, the axle is positioned AFT more with the flip kit. If you look at where my tire is in reference to my wheel well, from dead on straight at it, you can tell it's moved back toward the ass-end of the truck more. No worries, Calvert Racing hooked me up though, so I'm happy!

OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Trust me Greg, I'm one of those cases... when I do something, anything and everything that could go wrong, will go wrong. Had to notch the spindles(didn't plan on that, as I was told everything would work as is), wrong Caltracs mounts, 20 ton hydraulic press at the auto hobby shop broke as I was using it to press out the leaf spring bushings... so I had to wait till they got the new one in, had to get 5 alignments for the guys to finally get my steering wheel centered correctly and it stop pulling to the left. Lol yeah I'm just about ready for anything now = P

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Trust me Greg, I'm one of those cases... when I do something, anything and everything that could go wrong, will go wrong. Had to notch the spindles(didn't plan on that, as I was told everything would work as is), wrong Caltracs mounts, 20 ton hydraulic press at the auto hobby shop broke as I was using it to press out the leaf spring bushings... so I had to wait till they got the new one in, had to get 5 alignments for the guys to finally get my steering wheel centered correctly and it stop pulling to the left. Lol yeah I'm just about ready for anything now = P

Trup,
I can relate. Seems Like I'll have a week where anything I touch goes wrong. You mentioning the relocation of the axle reminded me that indeed we moved the axle. I had completely forgotten that. I warned you about those damn bushings. I used a torch and cut them up and then pounded them out with a hammer. Totalling unproffessional, but effective.

Edit: For those who might be intersted in how much the axle is relocated, here is a picture of a bump stop for a flipped rear axle.

dsc00261web.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trupiano

Trupiano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yeah if I had a torch I probably would've tried that. The press adjustment thing broke and so the press would only release pressure, couldn't build it up. The guy said it was pretty damn old anyway. So that's why it's taken like a month and a half to get these done.