Cam Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
ok guys well im about to side on what to do for the last time lol

option 1
6.1 regrind to a "crazyfrog" with the custom pushrods($125). Im pretty sure my 6.1 has a lsa of 116-117. not sure though
CamCardCut.jpg

option 2
get in on a group buy for the new sidewinder. specs here. lsa of 114. cost is 420
http://modernwarfareperformance.com/cam_shafts.html

which would be the best for my setup? will they be about the same for hp/tq #s

sorry I keep asking questions about this, I just want to get it down right the first time lol

Last edited:

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
the frog will run smoother, but you'll have more punch off of the sidewinder because of the lower lsa. the 114 will run on a canned tune, but it wont be quite as smooth as the frog on the 116.

as far as peak numbers i have no clue.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should should go with the sidewinder. I am not saying that bc it is the cam I run and like it either. I am saying that bc from talking to you about this a few times on PM about cams you always come back to the sidewinder. So to me, that must be the cam that you really want in your truck. And if that is the case, then that is what you should go with.

I don't really know much about the custom grind but I do know you would love the performance of the sidewinder.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
The sidewinder will give you a bit more peak power due to the 114 lsa, but might fall on its face on the top end and will give you a lopier idle, not much more but you should be able to hear the difference, it will run on the canned tune but with a custom tune it will run much better (I have heard it a few times (even by teach if Im not mistaken) that the sidewinder on the SC canned tune feels like there is still more on the table that the SC cant tap into). The frog grind with the 116/117 lsa will give you a very smooth idle, probably not a very noticable lope and will run nicely on the SC tune right of the start as it is basically the same lsa as a stock cam, you wont make as much peak power though but your power band will be flatter and more even across the board.

From what I have been told anything with a 115 LSA and up should be good for a canned tune while anything with a 113 and below needs a custom tune. So basically the 114 is somewhere in the middle of needing one and not.

For your setup, the one that will run the smoothest would be my pick.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like truckin said, the sidewinder does feel like there is still some left on the table when running it on a canned tune. And I have spoken to guys with the sidewinder that have gone to custom tuning that say it is a night an day difference between the sidewinder on canned tuning as compared to custom tuning.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can Stu tell you what lsa your core is, based on the part number? My core was a 115.

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
stop going back to cams you've already ruled out. you ruled them out for a reason. the 260 is weak sauce.

I think your choice is obvious. Go with the sidewinder because of the 114 lsa. If for some reason your 6.1 core is a 115 lsa like frogs, go with the frog grind, otherwise the sidewinder will be your better chioce

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I wonder if Crower would do a new core grind for a Sidewinder spec with whatever lsa you wished (114). I dont know if you have to be a vendor for them or not.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
By new core i mean a metal blank and turn it for you.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm guessing the regrind is out since the 6.1 is now listed for sale.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will love the sidewinder bullet. Your truck will really move with that cam.