Catch Can Return Line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey, I admit it, I'm not an expert, but why is everyone running there return lines back into the TB, isn't that just blowing oiled air back into the TB? Is it better to run a single line out to a can with a breather on top like the Morroso ones I've seen... just say'n? Please advise!

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You have to run a return line back to the intake. That's how you get your vac that pulls the air out of your crankcase.

OP
OP
Tray Burge

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why does the Vararam kit come with just a air filter to put on the end of the line? Isn't air escaping the crankcase if it's just vented? I admit I'm not a mechanic.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The small air filter is from the fresh air make up line, you still need to route the PCV line (the one the catch can is installed on) back to the intake manifold to pull vacuum.

OP
OP
Tray Burge

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
****! I've been running it like this for a couple of months, hope I haven't caused excessive gum/varnish on my valves and internals. Now I GOT to get a catch can.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Why does the Vararam kit come with just a air filter to put on the end of the line? Isn't air escaping the crankcase if it's just vented? I admit I'm not a mechanic.

The small air filter is from the fresh air make up line, you still need to route the PCV line (the one the catch can is installed on) back to the intake manifold to pull vacuum.

What Charson said lol. It's less than ideal IMO, but short of a vac pump or something more extreme, it does about the best job there is for the money. Only other thing I'd like to see is a filter in the catch can itself.

****! I've been running it like this for a couple of months, hope I haven't caused excessive gum/varnish on my valves and internals. Now I GOT to get a catch can.

Yea, if you aren't pulling a vac on your crankcase you're losing a lot of performance and potentially wearing out your engine prematurely. You're better off using the factory PCV system then just venting to the atmosphere.

Hemifatboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
This is typical nonsense , it won't hurt your engine in any way ,the crank case is under pressure , even on a new engine from ring blow by , the pcv is only for pollution control to stop oil dripping on the ground and burn the poisonous vapors formed in the crankcase

OP
OP
Tray Burge

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At least I haven't driven her in a couple of weeks, so now I need to get a can and hook her up. Appreciate the info.

Hemifatboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Until the 60s and 70s they just had a tube coming out of the crankcase dribbling oil on the road and spewing crankcase gas

OP
OP
Tray Burge

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh yeah, I remember that there were just vent filters on top of the valve covers. I've been some reading up on the internet (caution) and supposedly the 03 doesn't require a catch can because it's says it's vented inside, am I saying that correctly. Feedback please, because now I'm really conflicted?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I didn't see the '03 especially when talking about catch cans since there are none available for the 3rd gens unless you do some extra modding. The '03 has an internal PCV at the back of the intake manifold and an internal EGR valve as well. It's kind of the ******* child of the hemi world.

The air line you have the filter on is the fresh air make up so you'll be fine.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This is typical nonsense , it won't hurt your engine in any way ,the crank case is under pressure , even on a new engine from ring blow by , the pcv is only for pollution control to stop oil dripping on the ground and burn the poisonous vapors formed in the crankcase
Technically not a completely correct statement. There are times when the relative crankcase pressure is lower than atmospheric while the engine is running. That is why there is a make up air hose running from the driver side of the engine to the intake air box.
True, the PCV sucks out combustion blow-by gases and some aerosolized oil and entrained water using intake vacuum. But its not so much for oil leaking as to keep those vapors from becoming emissions. Gaskets deal with leaking as long as pressures in the engine oil system do not go too high.
Before smog control most engines had a road draft tube that sucked the gases out when there was air flow across the draft tube and/or a valve cover vent. Essentially crankcase pressure was allowed to fluctuate and vent to atmosphere. With the advent of smog control those gases became regulated pollution emissions and had to be routed back into the engine for combustion or channeling through the catalytic converter.
A catch can separates the aerosolized oil and entrained water out of the PCV gases and allows the gases themselves to continue through the combustion cycle. If the aerosolized oil/water were allowed to pass into the intake the result when exposed to heat would be a slow build up of varnish on the throttle body and intake valves, and accumulation of an oily residue in the intake. More significantly that oil can cause a reduction in the flashpoint of the fuel air mixture in the cylinders causing the PCM to retard timing in order to prevent pre-ignition--in short loss of power.
Clearly Chrysler isn't worried about the consequences, but that makes sense if the effects don't become noticeably detrimental until after the warranty expires, or more likely after first owner has unloaded the vehicle. As usual the used vehicle buyer bears the consequences of bad engineering design.
In a diesel engine crankcase those gases can be explosive. That's why most diesels--especially the big power generation diesels--have a means of crankcase scavenging (suction) to prevent detonation of those gases caused by heat sources like hot bearings or friction hot spots from uneven lubrication of cylinder liners. A crankcase explosion in a large diesel will rock your world and can potentially fracture the block, rupture fuel lines or slobber lube oil all over the place leading to a major fire <---I've got that T-shirt.

Last edited:

Hemifatboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The oil that used to drip on the ground was from the vent tube , not leaking from some gasket , I could have made that clearer , and on big diesels they avoided catch cans and pcv until relatively recently , I have a 07 cummins 15 liter and it just vents gas and dribbles small abouts of oil on the road , via a vent tube out of the crankcase

OP
OP
Tray Burge

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Still thinking about a can because now the filter is starting to drip oil. I did notice a large amount of buildup inside the intake tube (K&N originally) going to the TB when I re-did it, so I know it was going to build up inside my TB, but I caught it in time. Apparently, the internal PCV works, somewhat, it's a 03' and I don't think the guy before me cleaned the TB and it was fairly clean when I did my Vararam set-up/kitbash.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The oil that used to drip on the ground was from the vent tube , not leaking from some gasket , I could have made that clearer , and on big diesels they avoided catch cans and pcv until relatively recently , I have a 07 cummins 15 liter and it just vents gas and dribbles small abouts of oil on the road , via a vent tube out of the crankcase
I was not referring to a tiny little Cummins 15 liter.
I was referring for example to the
Colt-Pielstick PC2.5 STC Propulsion Engine | Fairbanks Morse Engine 16-cylinder Colt-Pielstick PC2.5 STC engine rated at 7755 kWe at 62.8 Liters per cylinder.
Or Opposed Piston Engine Model 38 8 1/8 | Fairbanks Morse Engine the 12 cylinder Fairbanks Morse 38ND8 1/8 rated at 3165 KWe displacing 16.9L per cylinder.

The dribbles on the road were not as annoying to the greenie weenies as the crankcase gases--hence the PCV.
Have a nice weekend.

Last edited:

Hemifatboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Still thinking about a can because now the filter is starting to drip oil. I did notice a large amount of buildup inside the intake tube (K&N originally) going to the TB when I re-did it, so I know it was going to build up inside my TB, but I caught it in time. Apparently, the internal PCV works, somewhat, it's a 03' and I don't think the guy before me cleaned the TB and it was fairly clean when I did my Vararam set-up/kitbash.

I agree a catch can can't hurt , if no one responds how to rigg one up on this thread , try checking back through old catch can threads , there's a crap load of them

Hemifatboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I thought you were going to bring up a wartsila or something , ha , have a good weekend it's beer thirty

OP
OP
Tray Burge

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We've beet the **** out'a this horse. Thank's for the great info.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

You can't just plumb one in like the 4th gen trucks can do. It's possible to install ones but it takes a lot more work. I had a filter onto the FAMU line on mine as well and it would get a build up of oil as well over time because of the foul air mode that happens when the PCV is closed. Just clean the filter and carry on with how it's currently set up. The FAMU allows the crankcase to vent with filtered fresh air, you want it to be filtered air, anything else allows contaminants into the oil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93