Oil Catch Can with Mopar MAXCARE warranty claim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got our 2016 5.7 1500 in for an oil leak, and the service advisor just called me to say it's the intake manifold. He said no problem, we'll order a new manifold and cover it under your Maxcare warranty. Then he says, "I see you have a oil catch can on there... I'm not going to say for certain it caused the problem (possible over pressure, etc)... but I'd recommend taking that catch can off and putting it back to factory". So they are going to cover the repair, which is great... and I also felt brave enough to ask if they are going to make any note about the catch can installed (as to if it may be used against me later to potentially void my Maxcare warranty) and he said no, he isn't going to say anything. Real easy going guy I've had a good relationship with. My question is, has anyone ever heard of an oil catch can causing any kind of over pressurization or oil leak from the intake manifold on a 5.7? It's the Mishimoto can, first offered here back in 2016 (I think). I've pretty much decided to take this as a warning and best to not argue and take his advice and put back the original hose, so they don't have any grounds to deny/void warranty because of "modification".
Now I don't want to turn this into a catch can debate! But does anyone have any thoughts to potential problems having used one?

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got our 2016 5.7 1500 in for an oil leak, and the service advisor just called me to say it's the intake manifold. He said no problem, we'll order a new manifold and cover it under your Maxcare warranty. Then he says, "I see you have a oil catch can on there... I'm not going to say for certain it caused the problem (possible over pressure, etc)... but I'd recommend taking that catch can off and putting it back to factory". So they are going to cover the repair, which is great... and I also felt brave enough to ask if they are going to make any note about the catch can installed (as to if it may be used against me later to potentially void my Maxcare warranty) and he said no, he isn't going to say anything. Real easy going guy I've had a good relationship with. My question is, has anyone ever heard of an oil catch can causing any kind of over pressurization or oil leak from the intake manifold on a 5.7? It's the Mishimoto can, first offered here back in 2016 (I think). I've pretty much decided to take this as a warning and best to not argue and take his advice and put back the original hose, so they don't have any grounds to deny/void warranty because of "modification".
Now I don't want to turn this into a catch can debate! But does anyone have any thoughts to potential problems having used one?
I have never had any problems with catch cans had them on my last three 5.7l At least they said something to you.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Pretty well impossible to have a catch can cause pressurization in the intake manifold,it could cause it in the crankcase, if it or the hose leading to it became clogged,but not in the intake manifold,as the intake is after the can,and operates on vaccumn. For all it takes to remove it,pull it off when you take it in for service,and re-install it after getting the truck back.BTW your service writer doesn't really know how a catch can works,if he's saying it caused a pressure issue in the manifold,lol

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No way I can see the catch can affecting this issue.

That said, you’ve got an expensive warranty on a 7 year old truck; that’s like money in the bank. I would do NOTHING to jeopardize that.
Agreed. That’s the conclusion I came to considering all they would need is an excuse. That warranty has already paid for itself and then some. Best purchase I ever made. Wish they still offered it, and I’d get a Charger or Challenger with MaxCare.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When i took my 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L in for an Bi-Annual Emissions test, I asked the Smog Test guy if i should remove it, before he started the Visual test.

He told me that if anything, i would get a cleaner emissions reading.

He also said people should think about it.

You pour the Oil into the crankcase
It never should be in the Intake, only Gas & Air belongs in there

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That’s kinda what I was thinking

Legally they can't deny warranty. But the cost and time to defend is another story. If your not there to make sure they don't damage and/or throw it away or parts of it, could be a problem.
I would put it back on after they have done whatever work, and it's fully corrected the issue.. You might have purchase a new one though.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Legally they can't deny warranty. But the cost and time to defend is another story. If your not there to make sure they don't damage and/or throw it away or parts of it, could be a problem.
I would put it back on after they have done whatever work, and it's fully corrected the issue.. You might have purchase a new one though.
I removed it. Still waiting on repairs! Parts finally came in after the strike. Supposed to be fixed on the 18th.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You need to retighten your intake at least every year , they are known to loosen. Might check when you change your oil . It was probably just loose and may not need changed ,however that’s between you and your dealer.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to retighten your intake at least every year , they are known to loosen. Might check when you change your oil . It was probably just loose and may not need changed ,however that’s between you and your dealer.
What do you mean retighten your intake? Torque down the manifold bolts or ?!? I suppose if exhaust manifold bolts can shear themselves off, intake manifolds can get loose…

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What do you mean retighten your intake? Torque down the manifold bolts or ?!? I suppose if exhaust manifold bolts can shear themselves off, intake manifolds can get loose…

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Never hears of this. Is this just an specific years?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Different materials expand and contract at different temps , causing things to loosen . More or less . Not specific,accross the board.

Goblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 and 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7 and 3.6
When i took my 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L in for an Bi-Annual Emissions test, I asked the Smog Test guy if i should remove it, before he started the Visual test.

He told me that if anything, i would get a cleaner emissions reading.

He also said people should think about it.

You pour the Oil into the crankcase
It never should be in the Intake, only Gas & Air belongs in there
I’ve had one on my 2016 1500, 3.6 since 2018. My intake is spotless and it runs like a ***** ape. No problems at all

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357