Engine shut off only when topping off fuel?! What?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
So here's a fun one. A while ago I had the same issue popping up, just recently I found out it only happens when I top off on my fuel tank.
Let me know if any of you have had this issue so that I have a path to remedy the issue.

When I try to top off my fuel tank, I'll turn my vehicle on go for a quick drive in the middle they come around to a left-hand or right-hand corner, sometimes even coming to a full stop at a stop light, my engine shuts off! Turn the key off, turn the vehicle back on in neutral or park and it'll start up. Usually only happens once or twice maybe when the gas tank is completely full. Any idea what this could be?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you " top off" you're tank? If you click, click ,click the nosel to get the last drop in you're over filling you're tank which means you could be sucking on raw gas thru you're EVAP system instead of just vapors. When I fill mine I let it run till it shuts off then click it once, never had any problems.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
So here's a fun one. A while ago I had the same issue popping up, just recently I found out it only happens when I top off on my fuel tank.
Let me know if any of you have had this issue so that I have a path to remedy the issue.

When I try to top off my fuel tank, I'll turn my vehicle on go for a quick drive in the middle they come around to a left-hand or right-hand corner, sometimes even coming to a full stop at a stop light, my engine shuts off! Turn the key off, turn the vehicle back on in neutral or park and it'll start up. Usually only happens once or twice maybe when the gas tank is completely full. Any idea what this could be?

You are most likely to be over filling tank to where the breather tube is submerged therefore it's stalls. Just fill till it clicks then one more click that's it.

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Let me rephrase, I only let it "click" once, then remove and close with the OE gas cap. I even ended buying a new gas cap just to be sure/safe that it wasn't for some reason a faulty gas cap. It does it every time. I almost have to listen for the gas to fill in the tube then stop it immediately.
Could it simply be that I have a faulty breather tube? I even purchased a new EVAP switch sensor and yup, still doing it.

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
I'm thinking this is a problem with the breather tube going to the EVAP system.. Anyone else have this issue?

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I'm thinking this is a problem with the breather tube going to the EVAP system.. Anyone else have this issue?

yes i have had this issue from time to time, ive replaced all the tubes and filler neck with no luck, ive read its something to do with the tank and the tank has to be replaced, I havent found a problem for it yet but i have experienced what you have described quite a few times on my 2008 ram 2500 hemi...

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Looks like I will have to replace the tank with a new one... lame.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990