I have just bought a 2013 5.7 and for some reason when filling the tank the filler will only stay on for a short time before I hear the fuel come up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsflyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have just bought a 2013 5.7 and for some reason when filling the tank the filler will only stay on for a short time before I hear the fuel come up and the filler shuts down. I wait a few seconds and try again for about 30 seconds and it shuts off again. It takes me 10-12 minutes to fill my tank. What's the problem.

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had that problem on my '18 a year or so ago. They replaced my filler neck under warranty. No issues for awhile.

The problem popped up again the last few months. If you look at the various pump handles the ones that look like a cone that inserts into your fuel filler tube seem to click off repeatedly.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like RJ states above different fuel fill handles can cause this. Several other things have been said to contribute to what you are experiencing. The list I know of is fuel handles as gas stations, fuel filler necks on the trucks which have been redesigned over the years. The tank vent filter can be clogged. The evap canister can be saturated and cause this also. The little white plastic solenoid that attaches to the evap canister, I forget the acronym of its official name can cause fill problems and the actual fuel tank can be the cause. The evap purge valve is another. The truck fuel tank has a non replaceable one way valve in the fill neck which goes bad. I think it’s referred to as a rollover valve. Luckily all but the valve in the actual tank are relatively inexpensive and can be replaced easily. Unfortunately the fuel tank valve is molded into the tank and requires the entire tank to be replaced and the tanks are expensive. Most dealers and DIYers start with the vent filter and filler neck replacement if they determine it’s not the gas station nozzles. I’m familiar with this because I had to replace the gas tank on my 2018 for the same reason.

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar problem 2 year ago. I replaced the evaporator purge valve and a second valve near the purge valve. The problem went away.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It may be the ESIM (evaporative system integrity module) that's located on top of the fuel tank next to the filler neck it may be completely clogged.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
All of the things mentioned can cause fuel to trip the Safety Valve, ( sensing port ) within the Gas Pumps Nozzle.

The nozzle is usually tripped because gasoline has risen in the fuel tank filler neck & for one reason or another, air inside the gas tank is not rising out of the filler pipes vent tube :(

To see an example of this, take a bottle with a neck on it & hold it under the faucet with the valve all of the way open.
Because the air in the bottle can not escape, hardly any water enters the bottle

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My 2018 at 20K they replaced the neck under warranty with the updated Style and it worked good for 3 years. Then filling became almost impossible recently and they just replaced the fuel tank under Max care.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wife's Durango will do this at certain stations. I spin the filler nozzle with the hose up and it fills no problem. Don't ask me lol.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
when you turn the nozzle like you do, the sensor very near the end is turned upwards
IF gas blocks that little hole, the gas is automatically shut off

1703395735101.png

horace33

Reaction score
Ram Year
97 dodge 18LARAMIE
Engine
318 5.7
I've had trouble as well on my 18, I think it is in the sellers hose. I've had gulp or spitting problems @ Holiday stations, then I tried the BP in town no problems on my 1st 2 fills. Temps have been a toasty 40 to 7 degrees so, that seems to disavow that idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat