Engine won't start or turn over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jdfire77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
To begin I just bought a 2003 dodge 2500 4x4 with the 5.7 hemi with 232,000 miles...I'm also new to the hemi world so please forgive me lol

I was driving it the other day and the check gauges light started flashing on the dash, I looked at all my gauges and the were reading normal, it seemed to be running a little rough, like a miss or the transmission slipping a little, but I had about an eighth of a tank of fuel so I thought it might be the low fuel, I drove another few miles to the gas station and when I went to pull in the gas station the truck died as I was pulling in so I coasted to the pump thinking I had run out of gas. I got some gas and went to start it and it started but it hesitated a little similar to a vehicle that has run out of gas. I drove about a mile to my house And as I pulled in to my driveway it started making a loud squealing sound like a bearing had gone out. But it sounded like it was coming from the back if the motor. So I shut the truck off and waited a few minutes before i tried to figure out what it was.

I went to start the truck back and it wouldn't start, the starter was trying to turn the motor over but it wouldn't let it and would pull all the power down making all the lights dim. So I tried this a few time to start it and it kept doing the same thing, I even put it in neutral and tried and get thit same thing, I also tried hooking jumper cables up making sure I had plenty of power.

So the next thing I tried was taking the belt off and turning the motor over by hand by pulling a pull handle on the crank shaft pulley and turning it but it wouldn't turn. It makes me think that something in the motor had locked up but then I got to wondering if the torque converter or something in the transmission could be locked up preventing the motor from turning.

Sorry this post is so long but I wanted to give y'all the full picture. So I guess the major thing I'm trying to figure out is, is this definitely a locked up motor or could it be the transmission. Any help and advise on this would be greatly appreciated!!!!!