Key Fob stuck in the ignition and won’t turn over.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Srmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 Ram 1500 Classic

Tried to start my truck last night and it wouldn’t turn over. Tried jumping the vehicle and it wouldn’t turn over. I put a charger on the battery over night and tried again in the morning. Starter would not turn over and my key fob is now stuck in the acc position and will not turn to the off position. I swapped the battery for a new one and it still won’t turn over and the key fob is still stuck. Anyone got any ideas on what to do? I have power when the new battery is connected. The key will turn from acc to on but the starter wont turnover at all.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Not to sound like a jerk but is it in park? Try putting it in neutral and starting it. If it starts in neutral you probly have a park sensor issue. But could also just be a battery issue too.

OP
OP
S

Srmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can’t get it out of park. I have the electronic dial to shift it into neutral. I installed a brand new battery today and it didn’t do anythin.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, a battery issue is what I would suspect but that is pretty much ruled out with what you've done. Wondering if there's a deeper "reset" (than removing/replacing the battery) that could be done? I'm not aware but thought I'd throw it out there.

With electronic stuff somewhat ruled out and the physical problem with getting the key out, I'm leaning ignition switch broken/damaged. With how high-tech these trucks are I'm not even sure what the next step would be. In the old days I'd just break it and start the truck with a screwdriver.... guessing that won't fly anymore with these things.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have tip key check behind the panel to make sure plug didn't come off? Not sure why that would prevent key from turning,but electronics are weird. Does it make any noise when you try to crank? Any codes or dummy lights?

OP
OP
S

Srmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah I pulled the panel and checked the harness that plugs into the ignition. No dummy lights come on and when I turn the key from acc to run I hear one click and nothin. I’ve never had any issues with this truck. Just hit 68,000 miles. Also tried running codes and wouldn’t work cause the key won’t turn off.

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I can’t get it out of park. I have the electronic dial to shift it into neutral. I installed a brand new battery today and it didn’t do anythin.

On earlier trucks there is a transmission release safety lever behind a panel to the left of your steering wheel
Make sure you truck won’t roll an is on a level surface with the wheels chocked.

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Have you thoroughly clean the terminal clamps, specifically where they contact the terminals? Use a voltmeter and check the voltage and grounds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat