Exhaust manifold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was told.my exhaust manifold had a leak... could even see a little one. Didn't notice much noise at all until last night. A loud ticking that gets faster when I accelerate. .. truck seems to run okay but feels more boggy... I mean the tick is loud..

Sound like a manifold? Bolts or gasket ?

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
You may want to try to torque the bolts down that might help. I had the same issue on my 03 Cummins sevral years back, had a small leak, torqued the bolts and that fixed the problem.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a broken manifold bolt once and the tic was so loud I can hear it from down the street. Check for broken bolts but be careful re-torquing the existing bolts they break really easily. If you end up needing a new gasket make sure it's Mopar OEM only.

VPRPWRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.3L Viper
This is very common. The manifolds warp and it breaks the heads off of the bolts, typically on the rear cylinders. Remove the exhaust manifold heat shields and inspect all of the bolt heads.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mean it gets louder and more faster of a tick when accelerating could that be like a sticky valve ? Or still sound like a manifold issue

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mean it gets louder and more faster of a tick when accelerating could that be like a sticky valve ? Or still sound like a manifold issue

Definitely sounds like a manifold leak (loose bolts, broken bolts, bad gasket...)

Last edited:

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I am wondering if I will run into broken bolt heads, when I remove my manifolds, to install long tube headers. I just hope I will be able to remove the bolts after heads break. I plan to use break free on the bolts anyways, it has always worked very good when using it in the military.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies! Just will have to deal with the noise for a bit until I can get it fixed

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
I am wondering if I will run into broken bolt heads, when I remove my manifolds, to install long tube headers. I just hope I will be able to remove the bolts after heads break. I plan to use break free on the bolts anyways, it has always worked very good when using it in the military.

We ran into that problem when I installed my LT's. Had to drill the bold out of the hole.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

It just depends. Sometimes, just the head pops off. You can remove the manifold and just spin the bolt out with pliers. Sometimes they break off flush and require drilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks, it's good that I have a set of easy outs, just in case I have to drill a broken bolt out. Hopefully I will just need to put a small pair of vise grip pliers on what is left of the bolt.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so now I'm throwing out a cylinder 8 misfire code.. can that be due to manifold??? It's my daily driver and I don't think I should be driving with a misfire.

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely a manifold leak. I have the same issue currently and will soon replace both manifolds with ceramic coated headers. I suggest short tube down headers instead of the long tube down headers. The long tube typically offers benefits at rpm greater than 5000 and the short tube are more advantageous for torque production. Depends if your rig is a daily or a toy!

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely a manifold leak. I have the same issue currently and will soon replace both manifolds with ceramic coated headers. I suggest short tube down headers instead of the long tube down headers. The long tube typically offers benefits at rpm greater than 5000 and the short tube are more advantageous for torque production. Depends if your rig is a daily or a toy!

Can you give sources for this statement?

I've heard the only benefit shorties have is when facing clearance issues.

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
LT's generate more torque than shorties...

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you give sources for this statement?

I've heard the only benefit shorties have is when facing clearance issues.

Its been shown to be true for decades with hundreds of dyno tests short equal length runners keep the power band in the lower rpm where most people drive and may increase fuel economy by reducing back pressure and adding torque and power at cruising speeds making the engine more efficient. Larger and longer runners move the power band up in rpm range and can increase peak horsepower eliminating back pressures and improving exhaust flow if other mods have been done. Racers change the runner size and length for peak horse power because their running at high rpm for 1/4 mile for the most gains. This is why you should choose headers to fit your needs.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was a valve spring that broke wouldn't it run like crap? I mean it runs okay little rough due to the misfire . But I am not sure, sounds like exhaust leak.. getting on the freeway yesterday it didn't wanna shift... and then made loud popping noises like a backfire at 60-70mph..

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I forget, did you get your heads done last year or was it just the head gaskets? If those are your original valve springs they are known to be weak in the '03. Maybe its just the exhaust manifold but if you're getting a ticking sound and a misfire you might want to at least take a look.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep I had the heads done, and gaskets. And they did fix the manifold too.... I had a issue with it before and bolts were broke... weird that it'd happen again or just different bolts broke? I don't know if I want to dig into it cause I think that's out of my skill level there.