Exhaust Manifold Bolt Extraction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbone1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the process of replacing the passenger side exhaust manifold on my '17 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, and looks like I’ll have to get the welder (flux core) ready to extract a snapped off bolt. Never had to do this particular task, so I have a couple of questions…

1) I know I need to place the ground lead as close as possible to the weld point, but can someone tell me where the best spot is to safely do this without screwing up all the electronics?

2) Is flux core okay to use for this procedure?

I know there are multiple posts about the manifold bolts, but was unable to find anything that addressed these questions.

OP
OP
tbone1976

tbone1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, I knew that job was going to be a pain, but I’d never have thought that welding a nut on that snapped off bolt would be one of the easier parts. Spent about 10 hours in the shop yesterday. There were plenty of smoke/coffee/etc breaks, so not sure how long the job itself took...maybe 8 hours.

Had to extract two snapped off bolts. The previously mentioned bolt and the upper rear bolt that had sheared off outside the manifold. Using a bolt extractor I got from Amazon and a little patience rocking it back on forth, it came out with ease. The extractor is an off, off, way off brand ‘CooBeast’, because nothing says quality like ‘CooBeast’, right? Seriously though, it did work very well so the brand was irrelevant.

At the start of this job, I discovered a new problem. Looks like one of the mechanics at the tire shop damaged the threads on one of the lug studs. It’s always something…

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the process of replacing the passenger side exhaust manifold on my '17 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, and looks like I’ll have to get the welder (flux core) ready to extract a snapped off bolt. Never had to do this particular task, so I have a couple of questions…

1) I know I need to place the ground lead as close as possible to the weld point, but can someone tell me where the best spot is to safely do this without screwing up all the electronics?

2) Is flux core okay to use for this procedure?

I know there are multiple posts about the manifold bolts, but was unable to find anything that addressed these questions.
Instead of all that just make sureyour batteries are disconnected it shuts down the electronics. Wire welder usually doesn't have that kind of effect. But if you were using a stick welder that would be different. Do you have enough room to place a set of vice grips.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat