Flowmaster Super 40 Muffler, Welding needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OD Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
it's loud, i had one on my last truck, and the people across the street though my truck was a diesel, not sure how.

Mgpatton1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know what the muffler on an 03 looks like, but I have a 2012 1500 5.7 and I know my stock muffler was fricken huge compared to my flowmaster so he just welded the muffler on and then added the extra pipe needed to compensate for the lost length from the stock to the flowmaster but even if the stock and flowmaster were the same length, yeah my best guess is that the old muffler will be cut off with a cutting wheel and the flowmaster will be welded on plus a new piece of pipe however long to compensate for the lost length.

OP
OP
OD Ram

OD Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I don't know what the muffler on an 03 looks like, but I have a 2012 1500 5.7 and I know my stock muffler was fricken huge compared to my flowmaster so he just welded the muffler on and then added the extra pipe needed to compensate for the lost length from the stock to the flowmaster but even if the stock and flowmaster were the same length, yeah my best guess is that the old muffler will be cut off with a cutting wheel and the flowmaster will be welded on plus a new piece of pipe however long to compensate for the lost length.

I know my OEM muffler is huge. There's a guy in town that runs a pretty good shop. I might just have him do it since my knowledge of welding is nonexistant. Also good to hear that it's loud. I want it to be. Unfortunately my state doesn't allow straight pipes.

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
if you want very loud, almost straight piped, get a flowmaster 10. loudest one they got

Lostnwalmart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It can be done without welding but in the ling run its easier and more durable to just weld it.

JohnHenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
I do my own welding, I surely say a good weld is better than any bolt on flange or clamp. I'm putting a Delta Flow Flowmaster 44 muffler on my 4.7. Pics posted when done in the next week or two. I want to keep interior noise down a bit, and have decent back pressure. I love that my 08' has 3" stock exhaust already. Just gonna swap the muffler in with a small section of 3" pipe added to make up for the difference in length of the super long stock muffler.

OP
OP
OD Ram

OD Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Looks like I'll just take it down to be welded by the sounds of it. Or buy the clamps, do it myself, and get it welded at a later date (may not have enough cash as I want this fitting in 2 weeks). And I would actually love to get Flowmaster 10s, but I'm not sure they are legal in Florida. There is a noise limit here.

OD Ram

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's a bit less noisy than straight piped.

And half te price of a 40 series

OP
OP
OD Ram

OD Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
But is it legal in Fla? That's what I can't seem to find info on. There are certain regulations here compared to Texas or NC, it's the reason why I can't have straight pipes. I can't imagine a muffler that is so similar would be legal.

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It still has chambers, like a normal muffler, but is just really small, which gives it it's loud sound.

OP
OP
OD Ram

OD Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I'll try to get my hands on it if it's legal. I don't want to get a ticket for noise disturbance.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The single chamber 10 series is loud but still semi tame with the cats on the truck. Around 2500 there is a werid transition sound in the note below 2 below is ok 3 and above is pure sex. Im running a Jones Exhaust Full Boar which is the same as a Flowmaster 10 series. The case length of the muffler is only 6", overall length is 12" and its a single in single out.

OP
OP
OD Ram

OD Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Nice. The muffler will work just like that but without the full system correct? I now it's probably a stupid question but no way in hell do I have enough cash for a full system at the moment.

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep. You already have cats on. So go on and do it.

Mgpatton1s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what I did, I know a guy that owns a Mr. Muffler, the muffler was 150, he charged 50 for labor not a big deal. I could have done it i would've had my mig welder at the time but I just had a plain ole stick when I got it so I figured it'd be easier, more durable and less time consuming if a professional did it over me lol