Fuel Pump Confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrtouchy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi 4x4 Quad Cab slt with the 26 gallon tank. Finding the right fuel pump is giving me a migraine. There are so many different part numbers.

I know the official part # is 68027986ae

Does anyone know if part # 68027917AC is interchangeable?

Thank you

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi 4x4 Quad Cab slt with the 26 gallon tank. Finding the right fuel pump is giving me a migraine. There are so many different part numbers.

I know the official part # is 68027986ae

Does anyone know if part # 68027917AC is interchangeable?

Thank you

Just go to AutoZone, napa, or oreillys and get the Delphi brand fuel pump fir your truck. It's about $180 lifetime warrenty so if it goes bad free replacement. I was told by numerous people (even the dealarship) that Delphi was the brand that most car manufacturers use in their vehicles out the factory, when I Chad to change mine and was looking for another one good enough to last another 15 years. I was looking at it right now and there's 2 option for your engine that affect what fuel pump it is and look at the 8th character on your vin, I think it's the 8th could be wrong, it's either a 2 or a "D" and then it will give you your fuel pump options. Hope I help and save some money that part number came up at $350

OP
OP
M

Mrtouchy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unfortunately the vin is a 2 which means it's the more expensive model. The long bed has the 35 gallon which is the cheaper one and the short bed, what I have, is the 26 gallon and is $400+.
I eventually decided to roll my luck with the junkyard. Found a truck with minor front end collision and 60,000 miles. Here's hoping.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Take in mind that pump has 60,000 miles and you don't know what has been pumped through it if it has been run completely empty.Also Gas is also cools the pump too I would hate to pull the tank on your truck and the pump out of the junk yard fails too.I kinda looked around and didn't know they had two different size fuel tanks on these trucks .Will the junkyard guarantee the pump it is considered electrical if it fails.Was the number a Chrysler number or a parts store a lot of parts number won't be the same as the dealership at times.I would look around and save a few coins and buy a new one with a warranty .

Last edited:

soonerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I used the Delphi unit from Advance auto because it was one of the few that showed the gallons per hour spec. Most were between 28 and 34 gph, the delphi was 54 gph.