Headers, Do I need to tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanadianHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey looking at replacing my exhaust in the spring with a cat back and I am thinking about adding some Long tube headers, wondering if I need to tune for that or should I be okay? I do not have a tuner on my truck as of now. 05' 5.7 Hemi.

Thanks!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You don't need one but adding one will help the performance considerably.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
YES you need a Tune. LT's will throw codes and run like crap.

If you dont want a Tuner get Shorties.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Havent read anyone getting codes with shorties, since you have factory cats still in place.

Last edited:

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
YES you need a Tune. LT's will throw codes and run like crap.

If you dont want a Tuner get Shorties.

This is not true. You may get a code for the rear o2's but there are tricks to eliminate them. Stacked non-foulers being the most common. I ran my LT's without cats using the non-fowlers and the code would come and go. But the truck ran great. I wouldn't even consider shorties.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And yet your sig line says you have a tune. You can sit here and tell me LT run great without one. I hate putting my factory tune in when I go for warrenty work. The truck is sluggish and sounds like ****.

All those tricks are just that, tricks and dont do anything to help you actually use all the potential that LTs offer.

Heck Id get a tuner and custom tune before getting header.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And yet your sig line says you have a tune. You can sit here and tell me LT run great without one. I hate putting my factory tune in when I go for warrenty work. The truck is sluggish and sounds like ****.

All those tricks are just that, tricks and dont do anything to help you actually use all the potential that LTs offer.

Heck Id get a tuner and custom tune before getting header.

I agree, I'd get the tune first too. But I had my LT's before I had a tune. I did have a cel for the rear o2 sensors. But the nonfowlers did eliminate it. And my truck ran great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990