Headers or stock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blly8325

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2004 SLT 4.7 Need some help. I have the unfortunate exhaust leak tap noise from the dreaded manifold bolts snapping off. Since I need to put in a new bolts should I go headers and weld bungs to them for the sensors ? Or does that mess with the truck and give me a CEL. The truck only has 80 k so yeah I don't mind putting some money into it. Not looking to go dual outlet either. Any suggestions on products and vendors for a cheap fix or high end would be appreciated. I live it the rust belt so the Y pipe will be shot once I mess with it a bit. Thanks in advance

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
WELL.... if it were me and it was me at one point, I would take the exh manifolds off, have them milled by a machine shop.

Be careful on pulling the bolts out of the aluminum heads! it usually snaps at the head so when you remove the manifold you can get the bolt out if you are handy with vise grips.

The manifolds must be milled or they will start leaking again real soon regardless of the quality of gasket you put in there. I would prefer a set of used manifolds milled than a brand new set because the cast iron has moved as much as it is going to and you will get a better seal. Cast warps with the heat but only goes so far then settles.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's the reason I haven't done headers on mine. I have a slight exhaust leak on the drivers side and don't feel like trying to extract broken bolts out of the head anytime soon.

Headers will come with the o2 **** already in them for the front sensor. The rear will have to either be welded in unless you use a y-pipe that has them installed too.