Little Help - Water Pump Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atticusfaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I woke up this morning and pulled the truck out of the garage and saw a small puddle under it and was pretty sure it was coolant. Took it into a local service center and my seal on my water pump went out so I have to replace it. They quoted me $515 and I just about **** myself.

Anyway watched a couple youtube videos and went and bought the parts for a grand total of $80. I'm going to take a crack at it tomorrow. I'm by no means a gear head but I'm pretty handy I like working with my hands so I'm pretty excited to get after it...any input from anybody who has replaced one would be helpful.

Cheers!

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The easiest way to get the clutch fan off is take a 1-1/4 inch open ended wrench and widen it until it fits over the nut on the fan. Oh btw, make sure it's an offset wrench. Then all you do is give the end a sharp smack with a ballpeen hammer and it will loosen the nut. Do the opposite to tighten.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Get a friend who has some experience to help you.

OP
OP
atticusfaul

atticusfaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well...knocked it out in about 4 hours yesterday. Pretty much just removing bolts and putting back in the right place. Only had to make one extra trip to the parts store to buy coolant.

No leaks this morning. Total saved by avoiding the shop: $415. Boom!

OP
OP
atticusfaul

atticusfaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The easiest way to get the clutch fan off is take a 1-1/4 inch open ended wrench and widen it until it fits over the nut on the fan. Oh btw, make sure it's an offset wrench. Then all you do is give the end a sharp smack with a ballpeen hammer and it will loosen the nut. Do the opposite to tighten.

Oh yeah...this part sucked.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you replace the pump? I just noticed water/antifreeze dripping on the bottom bolt of my water pump. I'm going to reace it while I have it off.

OP
OP
atticusfaul

atticusfaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you replace the pump? I just noticed water/antifreeze dripping on the bottom bolt of my water pump. I'm going to reace it while I have it off.

Sure did...easy job in my opinion.