New motor problems...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tony debolt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This has been a project from hell! What I have is an '02 ram 5.9, eddy heads, vortech blower, msd 6btm. After ordering a motor from someone out of state, and having a couple friends (who are mechanics) put it in. 2 big problems...we can not get the rockers to be quiet and I have a bad vibration. The cam that was put in it is from comp, 269-273 dur .506 lift @ 1.6 114 lsa. Nothing in the tranny changed, the dampener was replaced (tried the old one again and it didnt help). Anyone have any ideas??? The vibration is through the whole truck, especially light throttle, feels like driving with octagon tires. The rocker noise is not just a sewing machine like tapping, it sounds as if they are hitting the valve covers, although I know they are not. FYI, I also found out that the '02 is a different block than previous years. The motor mounts are different, and I cant find any other specs to tell me if anything else is different. Any and all help is appreciated

New motor specs were .020 over, eagle crank, sir eagle rods, kb hyper pistons, comp cam. Heads were pulled and reused after valve job.
Thanks

Tony

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Send a PM or do a Visitor Msg to Merc225HP as he is well versed with the 5.9. Meanwhile maybe other 2nd Gen Modders like Johnny might chime in. Bump and Welcome. Danny

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I would do a compression check. Then check the push rods to see if they are the correct length for your cam. The vibration is from something rotating. How was the engine balanced? Internal or external, then check to see if the balancer and flywheel are the proper ones for your configuration. Good luck...