Pacesetter LT's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Well,
It looks like I'll be fitting the Pacesetter LT's under Red. Been mostly thinking about mid headers to make things really easy, but as it sometimes happens a deal comes along and just happens. I have my muffler and cat moved as far back as I could in hopes I could use LT's. My cat sit's just above the trans cross member. Can someone post up a couple of pictues of their LT install so I can get an idea of how it's going to fit. Regular cabs really don't have much room under them.
Thanks,

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I've got about 50 of them that ill post up in the morning. It is a tight fit

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Thanks Ryan, I'll be looking forward to seeing them.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Cool you bought Troys?

Yes, made an offer and he accepted. If I can, I'll remove the cat which will give me the room I need. But honestly I don't know if the shop I use will remove the cat or not. We have a annual vehicle inspection but I've always had the cat installed and don't know if I can get by not having one installed. Bear, do you have any insight on this? I think your Dad has a shop.

Last edited:

4.7Ram5.7Rango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex
The ol man has a tranny shop.... they dont do inspections....

As far as I know, you won't pass without a cat. I used to know people..... Now I know people who know people.... That may be able to "look the other way" for you, I'll see what I can do. Its been a while since I needed this kinda favor, so I can't make any promises.

I know further north, like where Frog is, they do emmisions tests, so luckily we dont have that to deal with. Its a shame you're having the tight fit issues, cause Id just say do the ol cut the cat in half and weld over the pipe trick. Any way of "shortening" the cat and then doing this?

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Couple things to note, I went with the pacesetter off-road Y pipe and spliced in the cats opening both sides up to 3". For yours since you already moved the cats back in anticipation, you will probably end up having to splice open the side of the cat leading to the header and have a 3" adapter welded in so they will just slide over the cone. I chose to have them beable to just slide on and NOT welded on. Actuall the whole Y assemble is welded but it is clamped to the headers and to the single line heading to the muffler. Reason we did this was so A the headers could be removed if I had to put them back to stock for whatever reason and B for when we pulled the heads to work on them with the cam and I am glad we did that.

cat2.jpg
cat1.jpg
cat4.jpg
cat3.jpg
DSC05310.jpg
DSC05292.jpg
DSC05293.jpg
DSC05295.jpg
DSC05298.jpg
DSC05299.jpg
DSC05288.jpg
DSC05290.jpg
DSC05294.jpg
DSC05286.jpg
DSC05285.jpg
DSC05289.jpg
DSC05287.jpg

Took these for Nick a few weeks ago for the transmission line placement next to the headers:
2010-12-31_17-53-39_798.jpg
2010-12-31_17-53-03_750.jpg
2010-12-31_17-53-33_422.jpg

Keep an eye on these lines when doing the install, mine have a solid 1/4" or so of separation while nicks are touching. Also look at the **** placement on the header, on mine the passenger side header was faced up instead of at an angle and I had to hammer in my floor board/heat shield there to be able to use the front O2 on that side. Also had an issue with the alignment tab on the passengerside. It looked fine when the truck was in the air but after it was set down you could hear a grinding and popping noise coming from it when I turned. Turns out it was this tab that was causing the issues because it was rubbing on the header while on the ground.

If you need any more information or dims or anything just ask and I can get them when I get home.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
The ol man has a tranny shop.... they dont do inspections....

As far as I know, you won't pass without a cat. I used to know people..... Now I know people who know people.... That may be able to "look the other way" for you, I'll see what I can do. Its been a while since I needed this kinda favor, so I can't make any promises.

I know further north, like where Frog is, they do emmisions tests, so luckily we dont have that to deal with. Its a shame you're having the tight fit issues, cause Id just say do the ol cut the cat in half and weld over the pipe trick. Any way of "shortening" the cat and then doing this?

I have no issues with my fitment on mine. The cats, if you look in the pics above, on mine were shortened by about an inch on each side in order to get the 3" opening for the Y pipe. It can be done and from the sounds of it he is basically there, all he needs is the adapter to go from the cat to the header collector and it should be good.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Ask around when you get home and see. I know the shops around here wont touch anything dealing with the cats but if ya know people like said above you can work around it. You might be able to get a smaller chambered high flow cat and gut it just to it appears there cats on it.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
...Took these for Nick a few weeks ago for the transmission line placement next to the headers:
2010-12-31_17-53-39_798.jpg
2010-12-31_17-53-03_750.jpg
2010-12-31_17-53-33_422.jpg

Keep an eye on these lines when doing the install, mine have a solid 1/4" or so of separation while nicks are touching. Also look at the **** placement on the header, on mine the passenger side header was faced up instead of at an angle and I had to hammer in my floor board/heat shield there to be able to use the front O2 on that side. Also had an issue with the alignment tab on the passengerside. It looked fine when the truck was in the air but after it was set down you could hear a grinding and popping noise coming from it when I turned. Turns out it was this tab that was causing the issues because it was rubbing on the header while on the ground.

If you need any more information or dims or anything just ask and I can get them when I get home.

There's a pretty easy fix for this. Disconnect the offending line. Move the nut back an inch or so and then trim 1/4 off the flared end of the line, reflare the pipe and bolt it back up. It's done in under 20 minutes.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Guys, this is great information and really lets me get my mind wrapped around the install. The shop I did my last exhaust mods at didn't seem to hav a problem moving or changing the cat. I would perfer having a cat installed. Red is a 03 so only has the one cat which i replaced with a Magnaflow HiFlow. Turned out it didn't do as well as the OEM cat, But was proably meant for dual cat setups. Now comes a problem, I only have one forward O2 sensor in front and this was designed to be at the Y before the cats. And of course I need to beable to pull the heads down the road. This is going to be an interesting install. I plan to use the off road Y pipe at least to start with. Any inputs is appreciated. Thanks,

Edit: Ok did a little more reading on a install done by the HTC forum (MrHemi) on a 03 and by far the only practical way to do this is the way Ryan has his layed out with dual cats. My question is where should I install the forward O2 sensor as it is needed to signal the PCM the A/F ratio's? I'll wait for the 03 guys to pitch in to see what they did.
Thanks, much appreciated.

Last edited:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I have a couple pics of just the Y and no cats, let me see if I can dig them up, but if memory serves me correctly, we just cut the Y and inserted the cats in them so I think the y without the cats sits right on the crossmember or at least towards the front of it.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I have a couple pics of just the Y and no cats, let me see if I can dig them up, but if memory serves me correctly, we just cut the Y and inserted the cats in them so I think the y without the cats sits right on the crossmember or at least towards the front of it.

Ryan,
If the Y pipe could be installed forward of the cross member it would allow me to use a single cat. But damn I know two cats will certainly out flow a single. If I go with dual cats I just need to figue out what is needed to be done with the O2 sensor. I really like your setup.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
That would depend on what cats you go with. Mine are the stockers and it all fits really nicely and it comes apart real simple like to get the headers off

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Best pics I have of the pacesetter Y with no cats:
DSC05134.jpg
DSC05135.jpg

Looks like it sits further back than I thouoght it did

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
if you want i can get you a dim from the end of the header collector to the trans support later tonight

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Ryan,
From my posts you can see I had a little discussion with myself, lol.....
This is the plan, I'll run two cats, either Magnaflows or OEM with the same layout you have. The front O2 sensor apparently can be plugged into one side and not be a issue, the rear O2 sensor maybe at the Y junction or someplace convienent. I want the headers to be removal for engine work and I want high flow in street configuration. I'm leaning toward the OEM cat as it outflows the Mag HiFlow cat. So with two OEM I'l have 100% increase flow capacity. This is all going to be good. Thank you for the excellent pictures and great input.

Edit: Since you ran both with and without cats, did you notice a performance difference?

Last edited:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I ran mine without the cats for about a week or two and didn't like it. The sound was to loud and rapy (even by my standards lol) and the smell was horrible (unburned hydrocarbons) and my lowend was lacking. Add them back and all was well