Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Planning a rebuild (over time)

This is a discussion on Planning a rebuild (over time) within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!
Awesome haha...

Like Tree7Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Awesome haha

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Performance
Monroe Quik-struts, Airaid MIT, SC 87 tune
usaf2006 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2003
Engine: 4.7 V8
Well Fri. Nov 4th came & went & no engine. The guy from Accurate Engines (Tony) calls me Thurs. the 3rd & says I've got good news & bad news. Good news is your engine is done, bad news is we lost it. Said they put 3 engines on a truck & forgot to label them etc. Going to look into rest of day & if can't locate put a rush on another motor for me. So on the 9th I get confirmation & tracking #'s for new engine on the way. Picked it up Fri the 11th. I'm glad I got the engine, & it looks great, but I wasn't impressed with things such as (Tony). I mean 4 times he called to as where the engine was going. 4 times. Second time was whatever, 3rd time was like wow. Fourth time was like this guy is incompetent. Anyways.

I've stripped my motor with what I need off of it. Had a real hard time separating tranny from block. Used a map torch & heated where the pins are located & popped right apart.

Here's some pics of taking out/apart & couple pics of new motor.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk
RonJon '06 likes this.
aheeejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Oh & I also replaced the steering rack, been leaking for years. Was pretty easy & straightforward. Course it was nice that the engine was removed. Very last bushing fell apart. Of course nobody had them so that got put on hold for a day

Old 11-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ram Year: 03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine: Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
I like this thread. I also own an 03 4.7 and currently have 123k. I have never had any major issues and the engine runs strong and smooth. I have thought of buying a new truck but realistically there is nothing wrong with mine. I plan to purchase a new engine to replace mine when the time comes, so everything in this post I will be referencing.
aheeejd likes this.

Mods: 3" exhaust, FM Super 40 w/duel tips, Westin bars, Tow w/ EBC mod, 3% tint, de-badged, Deezee, dash-cam, folding rear seat, Fumoto drain, leveled.
Egress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Another couple strikes against Accurate Engines, (http://accurateengines.com). Went to put on oil pan. Grabbed gasket/windage tray (shipped with motor) & it was bent (see pic). So I ran out & bought another. I put new one on & put several oil pan bolts in just hand tight. You should do this so when you tighten the oil pick up tube bolts so that the gasket stays in line/shape. Don't forget to put oil on o-ring for pick up tube. There's 1 bolt that goes near oil pump. Then 3 lock nuts for rest. All torqued to 20 ft/lbs. And of course Accurate Engines bunged up a set of threads for pick up tube. I got but on but it took a bit.

So course now, I have to get on the phone & talk to Tony, or customer service & try & get $60 out of them for having to buy a new gasket.

usaf2006 likes this.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Egress View Post
I like this thread. I also own an 03 4.7 and currently have 123k. I have never had any major issues and the engine runs strong and smooth. I have thought of buying a new truck but realistically there is nothing wrong with mine. I plan to purchase a new engine to replace mine when the time comes, so everything in this post I will be referencing.
Take lots of pics, make notes, diagrams etc. Huge help putting back together. Also I'm kinda struggling with the gasket package that comes with engine. There are so many. I'm also struggling with cleaning up the surface on the timing chain cover where the water pump goes. No scraping with metal or abrasive, not even scotch brite. I've tried break clean, mineral spirits, permatex brand gasket remover, carb cleaner. Going to try easy off tomorrow.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:08 AM   #17 (permalink)

So I was having quite the time trying to get the timing cover clean on the water pump side. Its aluminum so only using plastic, tried a wood wedge, wasn't doing it. Tried mineral spirits, break clean, carb cleaner, nothing.

My sister came over for Thanksgiving dinner, the night before I asked her if she had a can of easy off, cause I didn't have any. So she brought it, I sprayed it on & found some scrap hardwood with some nice razor like edges. Worked great, now I can really start to put this new motor back together.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #18 (permalink)

I used a metal gasket scraper when I did my water pump lol... just went very gentle and cleaned with a cleaner when I was done. Sealed great.

Performance
Old 12-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Well I haven't written in a while, been doing a few other things to truck while engine is out, like last night I pulled off front differential cover, cleaned it up, little black paint, new gasket (with light layer of RTV). Getting cold here, last night was around 34. I should of & wish I had done the front when I had the steering rack out, but, all went well.

Accurate Engines strikes again, I was in the process of putting on exhaust manifolds, I did drivers side first, the passenger side, last bolt to torque down (18 ft/lbs) & it just spun & spun. Stripped out, & not by me. So I took manifold back off & what do I see, some green paint from accurate engines on the exact bolt hole, see pic,

Top left marks the spot, pretty disconcerting, I hope they did proper work internally. But anyway I went & bought a heli-coil kit came with the heli-coils, the tap & the tool to install the heli-coil. Had to go get a odd size drill bit (thanks for having it in store Lowe's) size is 21/64". The heli-coil kit was size M8x1.25. It actually worked great, able to torque it down no problem.

I also installed a new set of front shocks, shocks that were on it was original, so it was time for sure.

Today is the day, gotta run a couple errands & then hook this bad boy up to the hoist & drop it in. Gotta clean up the dowels on tranny first.

Also if you do anything like this & you have automatic transmission, pull the torque converter, replace the seal, & if on the hub of the torque converter there is an o-ring replace that to. Its actually the transmission oil pump seal.

usaf2006 likes this.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Awesome progress. Can't wait for you to get it running.

Performance