Rebuilt hemi backfiring through intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GustavoF78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2006 ram 1500 mega cab with the 5.7 hemi with no EGR. I bought a junk yard motor and took it to be rebuilt at a machine shop. After I installed it I tried to start it but problem is that it wouldn’t. I checked spark and fuel. Both were good. I checked compression and all cylinders had good compression. Engine just turns over and back fires through the intake. I checked timing and both cam and crank marks lined up. Both position sensors are the same sensors used in old motor and all 16 park plugs are brand new Bosch platinum P/N 6711. I desperately need help!!

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
What did did the engine come out of what year for production .
It may be a computer problem not a sensor problem.

“The original Gen III came with NGC, so it had the 32-tooth crank sensor wheel. But Chrysler went to a 58-tooth sensor wheel on the new Hemi because the computer “needed more immediate and accurate information on the position of the crankshaft during rotation” so it could control and coordinate MDS and VVT along with direct ignition and all of the other electronics used on these engines.”

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What year did the engine come out of? This smells like you got the wrong generation engine.

OP
OP
G

GustavoF78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We have answers. Turns out the cam sprocket sheared off the locating dowel pin on the cam due to the cam being completely stuck. My guess is that the machine shop ****** up the cam bearings.

Attachments

• IMG_5455.jpeg
    IMG_5455.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5454.jpeg
    IMG_5454.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5453.jpeg
    IMG_5453.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 9