plenum gasket or other problem????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gesjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So today i pulled my throttlebody off to clean it and while i was at it i figured i would check the bottom of the intake for the telltale puddle of oil that is synonomous with a blown plenum gaket . What i found was the throttlebody blades and upper intake where the tb bolts on were covered in oil and tarnish but the bottom of the intake appeared spotless. I am gonna use the magnet on a stick test to check to see if my plenum plate has been replaced tomorrow. Other than a gasket is there any other reason for my tb blades to be oil coated ? Also on some other places ive been reading that the plenum plate bolts are too long and thats more to blame(bottoming out) than a steel plenum plate blowing the gaskets. Opinions on this ? A dodge tech wrote he had replaced 35 blown plenum gaskets without changing the plate,just used shorter bolts and has never had a return.

OP
OP
G

gesjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No suggestions? Anyone????

OP
OP
G

gesjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What im wondering is with no puddle of oil in the intake just on the tb blades could it just be a pcv valve?

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I know my TB was dirty as crap, I think they just get that build up on them over time, you can get some throttle body cleaner from the auto parts store and clean it right up

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
It may just be blowby from the pcv valve. Always cheap and easy place to start.

Sent from my apple torching Droid.