Randomly shuts off/ won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preston75052

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey, Guys

I posted in this group about a few weeks ago about a "cold start issue" and now the issue got worse.

Yesterday morning when I was going to work, I was in a school zone doing 20mph my truck started bogging out. as I was continuing on the gas it was acting like it was trying to go but kept bogging out and eventually died on me.

I was able to coast in a driveway. Put it in gear, pulled the key and then retried to start. the truck acted like it wanted to a couple of times but nothing successful. This is all with a half a tank of gas as well.

Here's the tricky part: Got it towed to my Mechanic that I've used for over 10 years, he told me that the truck started right up and is running now. he let it run for awhile and turned it off. Did some investigating and hasn't come across anything but went back to start it up and it wouldn't start for him! Truck sat over night and gave him a call today for an update and the truck is now running and they are test driving.

I am stuck and at a complete lost and need some help.

I think its electrical, and he says that hes checked everything.

Does anybody have any suggestions or has come across this issue?

Thank you!

nathantc

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 sxt 120
Engine
3.7 V6
if it were a single coil system i would say the coil is bad (heat soak) had many in the past do this. they slowly heat up reducing spark till it cant run/start. let it fully cool and it runs like nothing is wrong.

on a multi coil system doing this same thing i would take a good look at the crank sensor and the connection/wires going to it. they are fairly cheap and ez to replace. id start there

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
preston,,,any update?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have them check all grounds. I had a car that did something similar to this and it took them forever to figure out that the main ground was not "tight". It was tight enough to make good contact sometimes but whether it was heat or vibration it would loose ground, latter it was fine again for awhile then it would loose contact again.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk