TB Ground....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
So far NOT impressed. Just wanted to check the idle for right now while parked to see what it would do.... result... zipp zero nada nothing.

Pre-Ground:

[yt]qMWuQ2Ir8IU[/yt]

Post-Ground:

[yt]BvQi7vhWOio[/yt]

Going to be out running around tomorrow and Sunday so I'll put it to the test. If it gets rid of the surging around 15-20mph I'll be happy, if not then it was a wasted 15min.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Curious to hear your thoughts after driving around a bit.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Well more than likely its a cam/tune issue but I was hoping after hearing all the good things about this mod that it would help smooth it out..... Time will tell I guess

UberRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you reset the PCM? I think most people say they noticed the difference after doing that.

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't have to reset my PCM, nor do I see how resetting the PCM will effect a simple better ground.

I grounded mine really to disprove all the "hype" over the mod. Boy was I wrong! My 200+ RPM idle fluctuation steadied right out, dead steady needle now. I can also feel better throttle response, not night/day difference, but feelable.

The fact that it's basically a free mod (who doesn't have a piece of wire laying around?) and the 5-10 minutes it takes to do it, I would encourage everybody to try it. It can't hurt anything.

But yeah Ryan, I think grounding the TB to smooth out an after-market cam is a bit optimistic unfortunately...

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Ryan I think its in the tune and needs smoothing still.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have the issue you guys are talking about only when I use a tuner. I feel more power with tuner but something about it my truck does not like having engine tuned at anything but stock. I have tried both superchips and Hypertech both make truck hesitate off the line just slightly as maybe the drive by wire lags. I notice more power for both tuners no matter the setting really just cant get past the lag then rocket pedal feel. Yes, I have reset pcm but that did not help. Only thing that helps is to go back to stock tune which luckily on the Hypertech I can still tune for tire size and other parameters even if engine tune is stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I have the issue you guys are talking about only when I use a tuner. I feel more power with tuner but something about it my truck does not like having engine tuned at anything but stock. I have tried both superchips and Hypertech both make truck hesitate off the line just slightly as maybe the drive by wire lags. I notice more power for both tuners no matter the setting really just cant get past the lag then rocket pedal feel. Yes, I have reset pcm but that did not help. Only thing that helps is to go back to stock tune which luckily on the Hypertech I can still tune for tire size and other parameters even if engine tune is stock.

If they are availible, try and find a ported throttle body. That will pep it up quite a bit

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Was that a cold start on them or full temp running? Looks like your idle is 800 for the midway point.

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got one guy's confirmation that it stopped his stalling at stop signs and red lights issue. '05 Hemi 4x4 stock except for Flowmaster cat back. Guy claims it was stalling about half the time at stops, has gotten worse over the past year. Dealer would experience it but never could fix it (after about four attempts). The guy says he could MAKE it stall 100% of the time if he stopped and cut the wheel hard in either direction.

Did the TB ground and it now sits at 700 rpm solid, turning the wheel will still drop idle a tad, but not enough to stall...

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I did this last week at the same time as I re-installed my Ported TB which was giving me trouble. I switched out the knife edged plate with the one from my stock TB (that part of the TB is same diameter on both units).

Anyhow did the Ground mod at the same time (10 Guage) and attached it to a fender bolt ground behind the stock Air Filter Box.

So the ported TB works great now, better response, better shifting, and no more part throttle drivetrain "Bucking".

I think the ground is helping too as my Idle needle has no more bounce at all or roughness which I tend to experience during warm-up. First day I had some driveway jumping but I think the computer was still learning (did TBPS reset too).

I believe this mod helps, Guys. Perhaps I should have tried it alone before the TB swap to be 100% sure.

Probably won't make a difference to the Ground mod, but I am going to switch up to the 91 SC Tune this weekend after I ditch my Tail-pipes and dump the Magniflow in Preparation for a 1" Body-Lift.

So take this as a Modded Truck...Yes...to...maybe.

Last edited:

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
So the verdict on this is still that it won't have any effect on us 4.7s huh? While doing my stereo install I had the battery disconnected for a while which essentially reset the PCM. My idle smoothed out after that, but we haven't had any cold mornings here lately either so that might have something to do with it.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I did this last week at the same time as I re-installed my Ported TB which was giving me trouble. I switched out the knife edged plate with the one from my stock TB (that part of the TB is same diameter on both units).

Anyhow did the Ground mod at the same time (10 Guage) and attached it to a fender bolt ground behind the stock Air Filter Box.

So the ported TB works great now, better response, better shifting, and no more part throttle drivetrain "Bucking".

I think the ground is helping too as my Idle needle has no more bounce at all or roughness which I tend to experience during warm-up. First day I had some driveway jumping but I think the computer was still learning (did TBPS reset too).

I believe this mod helps, Guys. Perhaps I should have tried it alone before the TB swap to be 100% sure.

Probably won't make a difference to the Ground mod, but I am going to switch up to the 91 SC Tune this weekend after I ditch my Tail-pipes and dump the Magniflow in Preparation for a 1" Body-Lift.

So take this as a Modded Truck...Yes...to...maybe.

When I had my ported TB, I got it first with the knife edge, and I hated ever moment driving with it, the sensitivity was just to high. Tap the gas and jump 10ft forward, made driving home in rush hour a royal PITA. Swapped the plate back and it worked like a charm.... until I cammed and tuned it, but thats another story.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Yes I remember you had said that about Your TB way back but luckely I never had real big jumps like you, just the Lightning Bolt into Limpe Mode.