Thud when shifting out of overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Alright looking to see if anyone has experienced this or know why mine is doing this, but when I ease into the throttle or go up a grade when my truck is in overdrive and it goes to kick down a gear it shifts and then there's a thud that jolts the whole truck. It shifts up through all the gears smoothly and when you apply full throttle it kicks down smooth and shifts fine. This only occurs on a normal downshift out of overdrive. Today I got a code, P0734 - 4th gear incorrect ratio, my 4th gear still works and when I'm in tow/haul or od off mode it doesn't do it at all. Transmission fluid and level is fine, does it still when my tune is set back to stock, no broken tranny mounts, u joints seem fine. Any ideas?

jljbtm

Reaction score
If the driveshaft has a slip joint make sure its not dry.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It almost seems like a sensor that's hesitating coming out of overdrive. It's smooth on every other shift, up or down, just not when it's coming out of overdrive.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel like I have the same issue and just havent been able to explain it. I would love to know what is going on. I have a 2015.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
its a tranny issue...does the fluid smell burnt at all...when I got this code i use to reset til ultimately my tranny failed and needed rebuilding/replaced (4th gear clutches/steels)

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Nope not burnt smelling and and not discolored at all. When it's in overdrive and I hit the tow/haul button it shifts perfect out of overdrive. No thud like when you're just driving normal and it downshifts out of o/d. Why would the tow/haul trick it?

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It may be some electronic issue in the tranny lime a solenoid or something, usually a much cheaper fix. My tranny does weird things now and again but keeps going. I actually wouldn't mind it going out so I can buy a shift kit and good internals.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
blackbeautyhemi

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea I already had the solenoid pack issue a lil over a year ago and it just went into limp mode and never came out. Didn't act like this. Found a post on the Z forum where a guy had the same symptoms as me and took it to the dealer to have the tranny flashed for a "quick learn" and it took care of it. So I'm gonna try that next and see what happens. Trying the cheap and easy alternatives first lol.