48RE trouble shifting into overdrive early

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrTunaCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Recently been having some trouble with my 5.9 cummins 48re. Sometimes when I am driving it will go 1st, 2nd, then overdrive…. Then kick down to like 3rd. Is my transmission failing? Or does a small piece need to be changed?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Recently been having some trouble with my 5.9 cummins 48re. Sometimes when I am driving it will go 1st, 2nd, then overdrive…. Then kick down to like 3rd. Is my transmission failing? Or does a small piece need to be changed?
IIRC its called Shuttle shift its been awhile since I owned my 06 with auto, IIRC you will need to replace either or both solenoid & transducer, have you tried doing a search for 48re Shuttle shift or just Shuttle shift on here or cumminsforum.com? Good luck

OP
OP
M

MrTunaCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I think it might be more than that. I tow/haul a lot and recently I have been getting stuck going up hill on having slow acceleration on flat ground. I am revving really high and barely moving sometimes. Almost like the brakes are stuck on then there will be a clunk that I can feel almost like the brakes came loose

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Is there a line pressure sensor on your truck ?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I think it might be more than that. I tow/haul a lot and recently I have been getting stuck going up hill on having slow acceleration on flat ground. I am revving really high and barely moving sometimes. Almost like the brakes are stuck on then there will be a clunk that I can feel almost like the brakes came loose
Ummm barely moving on flat ground suggest rebuild time.. One of the best rebuild kits around for the 48re is from Gorend: https://goerend.com/

OP
OP
M

MrTunaCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I really want to know what is getting stuck then clunking. Is it the transmission? It happens occasionally. The more I drive and tow the more it happens

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I really want to know what is getting stuck then clunking. Is it the transmission? It happens occasionally. The more I drive and tow the more it happens
And sadly the more you drive the more that gets wore out, tore up and the more it will cost to repair...