2012 Ram 1500 Door Speakers 6x9 Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D Schroeder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Guys My First Posting.

Even though I'm a little older then most online here I still hated the sound of the stock speakers on my Ram 1500 with the Res 130 radio. I didn't want to change the radio because of the uconnect etc... Crutchfield told me there were no 6x9 speakers that would fit the doors I couldn't imagine this was possible. After a little research and measuring I installed the new JBL GTO938 6x9 speakers without having any issues for depth at all. This was as easy an install as I believe you can do. The only thing I would suggest is not buying a harness to adapt to the previous speaker connections (like I did and did not use) and just cut the ends and put new crimp on spade lugs and everything works great. They kick pretty well for a stock radio. What helps is the JBL speakers are 2ohm loaded like the factory originals and are extremely efficient 94db. The only problem now is I need some sound dampening material....the door panels rattle a bit. Purchased JBL's for the backs and some new JBL 3.5 for the dash. All are 2ohm also. The important thing about considering an amplifier at a latter date is that you have to increase your CLEAN.... CLEAN..... RMS 10x the unit power you are using now for a noticeable difference. The primary reason would be for more Dynamic Headroom for the bass end, where as the mid range and the high freqs are maxed out at low wattage. Hope it helps GOOD luck
Derek
2013-05-18 09.04.12.jpg
2013-05-20 12.28.17.jpg

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Loved the GTO 5x7's I put in my Mazda pickup I used to bomb around in. How are they on the highs? I had mine amped and they where awfully bright. So bright to the point I used the DB switch on the speaker to dull them down a bit. Hope you are enjoying them and I would definetly look at putting them on a quality amp.

ramforme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
What model 3.5 JBL are you going with? Also, do you plan on replacing the rear 6x9 with the same?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know why the Crutchfield site always says that. Most 6x9's fit just fine, Ive had two different sets in myself, mounting holes were excatly the same in both. Maybe its because none of them come with the harness. Who knows. It looks like your top left screw is to tight and pulling on the surround. It may be a shadow but if not it will destroy the woofer. Good looking install though.

OP
OP
D

D Schroeder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the heads up . i noticed it and if you notice in the picture Im using the wire harness I threw away cause it wouldn't fit on the outside of the speaker in the door panel. and rattled like hell behind. But yes i pulled screws out and even used a smaller headed screw.

Thanks
Derek

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish I would have grabbed the JBLs when they had them for $49. I was tempted to grab them for the rear, but I want to work on front stage first. I never ride in the back seat. :)

njdad61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered a set of the GTO928 2-way 6x9s off of Amazon ($68/pr) for the front/rear doors. They are basically the exact same as the GTO938 without the super-tweeter. I'm thinking this will increase the low/mid-range without the highs from the super-tweeters pulling the sound stage away from the dash speakers.

Speaking of dash speakers, Crutchfield has an awesome deal on Polk Audio DXi350 3.5" for just $29.99 AND you still get the free speaker harness AND free shipping. Can't beat that deal with a stick!

Also, is the HU (specifically uconnect 5.0) on the 2013s still set up for 2 ohms to the door speakers? If it's changed to 4 ohm will a 2 ohm speaker hurt it? Thanks!