amp powering off when radio is on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gearhead87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
So my 'issue' is that when I turn my truck off with the doors closed the radio stays powered on playing music and the amp cuts off. Is there a way to keep the amp on like the stereo until the door is open?

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No expert here, but is your remote wire hooked up correctly?

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
your amps remote wire needs to be connected to an accessories power wire to remain on with the radio. This would also depend on if you have an amp or Processor with the auto sensing remote turn on

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is usually a small gauge blue wire. Check your amp, see picture, small wire in the middle coming off the REM (you will only have 1 wire coming off the amp if there is 1 amp installed, not two as pictured). It should then run to a lead accessory or your fuse box. If you got it professionally installed, I would take take it back and have them fix it, they should have done it correctly in the first place.

Attachments

• IMG_20170607_122635.jpg
    IMG_20170607_122635.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
G

Gearhead87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
It is usually a small gauge blue wire. Check your amp, see picture, small wire in the middle coming off the REM (you will only have 1 wire coming off the amp if there is 1 amp installed, not two as pictured). It should then run to a lead accessory or your fuse box. If you got it professionally installed, I would take take it back and have them fix it, they should have done it correctly in the first place.

So I talked to my install guy and he said he tapped the ignition. I told him I needed it to be off an accessory. He said he would change it for me. Thanks everyone for the input! Hopefully this solves the issue.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I talked to my install guy and he said he tapped the ignition. I told him I needed it to be off an accessory. He said he would change it for me. Thanks everyone for the input! Hopefully this solves the issue.

Accessory or ignition it doesnt matter both are off when the truck is off.

What did they use for the input for the signal high or low level input?

Depends on the amp if they used high level and it has signal sensing sometimes they dont shut off right away or they turn on as soon as you open the doors. In my '15 chrysler 200 I have an amp that has the signal sensing and this happens. With the amp i have there is no need for a remote wire

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again, Im no expert, just did research when installing my setup. What baum said about the ignition makes sense. If you had it installed at a professional shop, they should know this stuff. Is your radio holding memory, such as clock not resetting every time you start? I dont think the constant wire would have anything to do with this, I dont recall if improperly wired constant would keep the radio on when ignition is turned off, I think the head unit cuts out once ignition is turned off with bad install on the constant wire.

OP
OP
G

Gearhead87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Accessory or ignition it doesnt matter both are off when the truck is off.

What did they use for the input for the signal high or low level input?

Depends on the amp if they used high level and it has signal sensing sometimes they dont shut off right away or they turn on as soon as you open the doors. In my '15 chrysler 200 I have an amp that has the signal sensing and this happens. With the amp i have there is no need for a remote wire

Just to clarify before I installed the amp my radio would play through the speakers until i opened the door. My phone would also be charging until i opened the door. So based on this you still think tapping the accessory will fix the issue?

Oh... and this is the factory 8 inch radio

This is the amp I have https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Digital+Series/GM-D9605

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to clarify before I installed the amp my radio would play through the speakers until i opened the door. My phone would also be charging until i opened the door. So based on this you still think tapping the accessory will fix the issue?

Oh... and this is the factory 8 inch radio

This is the amp I have https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Digital+Series/GM-D9605

Without seeing your setup its tough to make a call. can you take pics of your amp and the wires going into it?

From the link you gave above that amp does have signal sensing turn on. Im betting you are seeing the same thing as i do with my 200 and how i have it hooked up with signal sensing. As soon as i open the doors/trunk on that car the amp turns on.

Last edited:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
your installer tapped a power supply that shuts the power off the moment the key is off, he just needs to tap into something that is on the retained access power circuit so it stays on like everything else.

personally i did mine so that it shuts off with the key and noth the RAP, so i dont run my battery down without thinking about it

OP
OP
G

Gearhead87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Ok. Problem solved changed the remote wire to the an accessory. Now amp stays on until I open the door.