Auxiliary light help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noslo_2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Ok I need some help I have some rear back up lights I mounted under my rear bumper that are hooked up to my factory lights so when I put my truck in reverse they come on. I'm good there but I want them to come on when my dome light comes on. How can I do this without my dome lights coming on when I put my truck in reverse? I know it can be done with resistor or Capacitors somehow but I'm not that smart.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not just run a separate switch. Gives you total Control.

OP
OP
N

Noslo_2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Thanks for the pics and the link to that thread but I am still a little lost as to how it all works and hooks up lol. I know a guy kinda who knows how but he has the flu and I am impatient lol. I was gonna go an in line fuse. I have tapped the dome light wire just not sure where I could pick up a diode. I want it to look good not like a kid did it

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
A fuse won't do so you any good. Think of a diode as a check valve for electricity. It will only allow voltage to travel in one direction.

You need to place the diode so the power can flow to both the lights when the dome light circuit is on but can't flow back to the dome light when the truck is put in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Noslo_2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Ok will any diode work? Where can I get a good one? I've never used them before as you can tell lol. Thank you for your help

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Radio shack or Amazon. You'll need a diode rated for your amperage, (likely a 10amp diode would be plenty).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk