Bad directions from my NAV system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNWramguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does anyone else get bad direction from there NAV systems? She get me there but in the most indirect route possible. I compared my phone NAV to my trucks and it's like night and day difference.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It happened to me :crazy:
I took a trip to pick some wheels up... short story short I had my phone nav going at the same time. The freeway that I had to get on was 2 blocks ahead and the phone was directing me the right way, on the other hand uconnect nav was telling me to take a left and to make u-turns for that left just to get on the freeway. Since then I don't use the trucks navigation,no reason why the truck had to route me another crazy way

OP
OP
PNWramguy

PNWramguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah it seems that the truck's NAV is useless. I can use my phone but there are times i'm out of cell range and could use the truck's NAV.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have mine set on the traffic avoidance settings I like and it seems to work pretty well. I have seen some people realize that some of the problems they were having was that their traffic and avoidance settings were affecting the way it navigated. I use mine quite a bit and in the two years I have used it it has only given me a questionable rout a hand full of times. It is never going to be as good as Google Maps because it's not nearly as up to date.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
mine has wanted me to turn left and damn if it is not a dirt road that looks like it is going to take me nowhere. Eh at my age I can use a map as a back up, not sure the young whippersnappers would have much luck.

OP
OP
PNWramguy

PNWramguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'll have to check my settings again.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Does anyone else get bad direction from there NAV systems? She get me there but in the most indirect route possible. I compared my phone NAV to my trucks and it's like night and day difference.

I spent 6 weeks and 8200 miles going from Colorado to Newfoundland this summer. Thank God I took along my portable Tom Tom. My truck Nav was absolutely worthless and not reliable in the least. When I got home I double checked for map updates and found nothing available at the time. Couple that with the maps costing 149.00 I decided I took a royal screwing buying my truck with the Nav system. I will use my $100.00 portable, with free map upgrades in the future.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Check your settings and select the option you think will work best for you.

Most direct route. Freeway only. Traffic avoidance. I think there is one or two more.

I use most direct route.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have mine set on the traffic avoidance settings I like and it seems to work pretty well. I have seen some people realize that some of the problems they were having was that their traffic and avoidance settings were affecting the way it navigated. I use mine quite a bit and in the two years I have used it it has only given me a questionable rout a hand full of times. It is never going to be as good as Google Maps because it's not nearly as up to date.

I think you are right on. Both on the settings and Google maps.

I've had a Garmin try to send me directly into Lake Michigan down a dirt road when I was trying to get out of Wisconsin on a main road and another Garmin that could find Highway 440 in Georgia when I was driving on it. My Tom Tom was thrown into the back seat for similar reasons a while back.

The point is they all have glitches. If you don't like or want to pay for the 8.4 GPS in the truck, so be it.

Personally, it's what I like in a GPS and I find it worth the money.

The comment on Google maps is accurate as the update cycle is obviously much quicker than any other.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had an issue with mine on a trip to Michigan and back. On the way up it kept giving me routes that were out of the way and would have added an hour plus to my trip. Coming home today I decided to try it again, this time ended up in central Ohio and 1.5 hours extra time. Had wife activate her cell phone navigation which got us back on course. A ten and a half hour run took us twelve hours. :mad:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just had an issue with mine on a trip to Michigan and back. On the way up it kept giving me routes that were out of the way and would have added an hour plus to my trip. Coming home today I decided to try it again, this time ended up in central Ohio and 1.5 hours extra time. Had wife activate her cell phone navigation which got us back on course. A ten and a half hour run took us twelve hours. :mad:
Tech advisory 08-070-13 covers some models of RAM GPS Uconnect 730N. Next time you're in the stealership you might want to ask if it involves your version.

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
I believe all systems will have some flaws. There area lot of roads here in the U.S. and overall my Garmin does well but not perfect. But I have been routed through a grave yard that required the use of 4-wheel drive in Mississippi, a train rail yard in Alabama and directly through a prison in Memphis (surprisingly no one stopped me). Go figure!

OP
OP
PNWramguy

PNWramguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, I changed my options from most direct to fastest route and that seemed to help. Still directs you way I won't normally go but not bad. No system is perfect.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Years ago, on my way to Ocean City, MD, my TomTom kept advising me to turn left off of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

I use Waze on my phone more than anything else and while it's pretty good, it's still not perfect.