CB antenna location question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was scoping out my 2500 looking for a good spot to mount a cb antenna and ran across a spot on the towing mirrors that got me thinking.

Has anyone pulled a mirror off to see what's behind it? Specifically, in the flat spot I circled in the pic?

63fc1d71b7918eee4da6868713adca0c.jpg

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I've seen them in the mirror before, not that common, but it's been done. The issue you'll have is you need a solid ground, with anything electrical a good ground is key. They have a custom mount for Ram trucks that mounts where the hood and fender meet that I've seen as well, I just don't like that out in front of me.

Last edited:

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Better off with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZdCWlrcdfI&t=240s

Useing a mount on a fender or mirror is just no good..Best bet is to get a good mag mount and run the coax through the pick up away from electrical and run one off the roof of the truck...A ant needs to see a twin of itself(ground plane)and thats what the roof does..Basically give the signal something to bounce from..
You can electricallly ground the radio but an antenna ground (ground plane)is not the same thing..
Mounting a radio itself,im kinda stumped myself,i have a 1500 sport with full console and i dont like to drill or cut holes...

92GreenYJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I mounted my radio to the side of the center console on the drivers side. Also the controls and gauge for my Air bags. For the antenna I made a crappy mount that moves way too much that I bolted to the bed between the box and the cab. Probably going to change that part up though.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ant

I mounted my radio to the side of the center console on the drivers side. Also the controls and gauge for my Air bags. For the antenna I made a crappy mount that moves way too much that I bolted to the bed between the box and the cab. Probably going to change that part up though.

Get the ant coil up above the cab..Try to center it cause it affects the signal direction,also get as much metal under it as possible...More under it the better ear and range it will have useing less power..

Attachments

• Antenna9pattern.jpg
    Antenna9pattern.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 58

92GreenYJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Get the ant coil up above the cab..Try to center it cause it affects the signal direction,also get as much metal under it as possible...More under it the better ear and range it will have useing less power..

I reworked it today

2C5B16AC-99D0-452A-9887-567FE1769ECC_zpsp0a8zs6b.jpg

Not super concerned with the range in the Ram as it's my DD and Tow Rig. Mostly use the CB when I'm towing to monitor trucker chatter and keep in touch with my group is we are convoying out to the desert.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always wanted a CB radio in a truck for no real reason other than it reminds me of my Dad, 35 yrs ago when he had one. I remember him talking to truckers when going on long trips. Usually to find out where the smokeys (aka cops) were hiding...lol.

I have the truck, but no CB radio. I don't want to hack into my $57k truck. I want it to be a very professional clean install. I have not figured that out yet on how to do it.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The best is if you do not want to drill your truck is a magnetic antenna on the roof ( look for wilson 1000 or if you do not want a tall antenna, wilson little wil )

For the cb location, I bought on internet a dash support for cb. I drilled the support to bolt it directly on oem top dash hole. every cable pass through the console, so no wire is visible ( except on top)

IMG_20170221_171316463_zpsqtqrm7ua.jpg