What is this thing for on my towing mirror? Nobody knows.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chabaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Ok, when I extend my towing mirrors, there is a little cut out behind the driver's side mirror.
Anyone know what it's for?

Only thing I've come up with is a spot to stash your keys when I go to the beach or river and don't want to lose them or get them wet.

But that can't be the actual reason it's there.

What do you all think?
Better yet, anybody know the real reason for this thing?

Attachments

• 20231205_165625.jpg
    20231205_165625.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
C

Chabaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Got it, nobody has any clue, and there really isn't anyone on this forum.

Good to know

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you take a better picture of this - say from different distances?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are they aftermarket towing mirrors or OEM? I don't have that spot on my 2015 factory tow mirrors.

zrock

Reaction score
i do not have that as well.. Must have been a compartment or something to hide your keys or something in like you said. Probably never caught on since someone could just come up to the door and open it if you had keyless entry

OP
OP
C

Chabaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
OEM mirrors don't have that?
Hmm Ive not seen a 3rd gen truck with towing mirrors not have that pocket.

Here is a screenshot of the factory service manual for my truck, and it's shown in there, but not referenced in any way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231218_074322_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_074322_Samsung Notes.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20231218_074315_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_074315_Samsung Notes.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 35

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a pretty cool feature when included with the tow mirrors.
Check out the pics in this post.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Here is a screenshot of the factory service manual for my truck, and it's shown in there, but not referenced in any way.
I had a 2003 2500 with the tow mirrors bought new and kept for 16 years. Can tell you my OEM mirrors that came in the truck did not have that cut out.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

My 2006 HD 2500 4x4 CTD with tow package did not have that pocket/cut out

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not one of my 3rd gens with OEM tow mirrors had that. I would have to say it's only a engineering design for rigidity and strength for the arm. Never looked inside my oem but maybe they have metal frame inside? These are all cheap Chinesium plastic and need that design or they'd buckle possibly LOL

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

What country are you in? I have NEVER seen those pockets on mine or any other truck 3rd/4th or 5th. They are cheap aftermarket mirrors. It's just a manufacturing build design. PS if you can't wait for a reply or help leave the forum and use Google. Your the one who failed to give the most important piece of information (that they are not OEM) also your service manual most likely is NOT a Mopar service manual I'm betting.

OP
OP
C

Chabaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Well excuse the F out of me Jr.
I'm in the USA, and as far as towing mirrors go, on almost 20 year old trucks, I would be willing to wager that there are more aftermarket mirrors out there than there are OEM at this point, especially considering they span over 8' wide when deployed and are usually the first thing to go in an impromptu tight quarters situation. As far as my service manual, I didn't check it out from the service department at my local stealership, however I seriously doubt in any version of service manual (save for a Haynes, where they disassemble a vehicle and document it themselves) aftermarket non OEM, serves no function, pointless aesthetic design choices of ANY part would be incorporated into such a document, if they cared at all about being taken seriously that is. Ever seen a service manual with aftermarket door edge guards in it, or curb feelers? What country are you in where you think jumping down someone's throat and insulting them is acceptable behavior? This is a forum, by definition, a place to engage in discussion and share ideas and thoughts. Your lack of any relevant thought, or anything worth contributing has been noted. So go read up on YOUR factory service manual, and back up your **** instead of just blindly staring ****.
As far as it goes, only evidence of their existence has been shown and proven.
Could have shown a pic of a mirror without it to demonstrate your superior intellect and still oem selection of parts. But ya didn't.

And yeah, my factory service manual, factory parts manual, parts drawing at the dealership, ALL show the mystery pocket, only on one mirror. And it's not referenced anywhere. So..

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
2nd Generation
Passenger Side Tow Mirrors For 98-01 Dodge Ram 1500 98-02 2500/3500 Power Heated
1706075854183.png

Business seller information​

Wenzhou Jonger Trading Co., Ltd
长洪 陈
Room 2209 Building 2
Daziranjiayuan Tangjiaqiao Road
325000 WENZHOU
China
Email: [email protected]
Value Added Tax Number:
  • DE 319806411
  • Business seller information​

Wenzhou Jonger Trading Co., Ltd
    长洪 陈
    Room 2209 Building 2
    Daziranjiayuan Tangjiaqiao Road
    325000 WENZHOU
    China
    Email: [email protected]
    Value Added Tax Number:
    • DE 319806411

Last edited:

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think they cut those holes so as to keep payload unchanged to avoid a cracked frame like that dude on the other thread.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well excuse the F out of me Jr.
I'm in the USA, and as far as towing mirrors go, on almost 20 year old trucks, I would be willing to wager that there are more aftermarket mirrors out there than there are OEM at this point, especially considering they span over 8' wide when deployed and are usually the first thing to go in an impromptu tight quarters situation. As far as my service manual, I didn't check it out from the service department at my local stealership, however I seriously doubt in any version of service manual (save for a Haynes, where they disassemble a vehicle and document it themselves) aftermarket non OEM, serves no function, pointless aesthetic design choices of ANY part would be incorporated into such a document, if they cared at all about being taken seriously that is. Ever seen a service manual with aftermarket door edge guards in it, or curb feelers? What country are you in where you think jumping down someone's throat and insulting them is acceptable behavior? This is a forum, by definition, a place to engage in discussion and share ideas and thoughts. Your lack of any relevant thought, or anything worth contributing has been noted. So go read up on YOUR factory service manual, and back up your **** instead of just blindly staring ****.
As far as it goes, only evidence of their existence has been shown and proven.
Could have shown a pic of a mirror without it to demonstrate your superior intellect and still oem selection of parts. But ya didn't.

And yeah, my factory service manual, factory parts manual, parts drawing at the dealership, ALL show the mystery pocket, only on one mirror. And it's not referenced anywhere. So..
Brother, you are not long for this forum with these types of responses.

YOU asked the question, and people who own the same trucks and mirrors are telling you that it is not there. Instead of being confrontational, be a little humble. We know these trucks, you don't.

I've had the opportunity to drive 3-4 of the trucks with these same mirrors and can also vouch 100% that I have never seen it one single time.

If you can show any of us proof from a dealership factory parts diagram, your FACTORY owners manual, or any source that uses a MOPAR factory part number to return the mirror that you have, I'll eat crow right now. That is an aftermarket mirror.

But since you asked, the only picture in the OEM PARTS CATALOG is the below and a quick Google search for an OEM mirror would have provided you this:

1706101387944.png1706101512709.png

If you want to be a contributing member here have a little patience and humility. Otherwise, fly on past.

What I find odd... is that your "factory" manual references an 8.3L engine. That IS a C-series Cummins engine, but it was NEVER installed in a Ram 2500/3500 truck. They were installed in medium duty trucks like Kenworths, Fords, Peterbilts, Volvos, etc... and in a lot of off-road industrial equipment and motorhomes. This in itself is suspicious.

1706101872552.png

Last edited: